How to use external H264 encoder?

Usama Shah

Jul 23, 2017, 11:56:11 AM7/23/17
to discuss-webrtc
For H264 encoding WebRTC uses OpenH264 which does not support hardware acceleration. We use Nvidia hardware encoder for our real-time streaming and now we want to plug that into WebRTC server.

 - How can we do that?
 - Where to start?

If that is not possible, as FFmpeg is included with WebRTC,
 - can we use FFmpeg h264 encoder with hardware acceleration?

With WebRTC CPU usage in our case is pretty high for real time stream.
 - Does WebRTC provide some API to implement your own extension of encoder?

h264_encoder_impl
looks like a starting point but I don't know what can be done with it.

Eric Davies

Jul 23, 2017, 8:15:02 PM7/23/17
to discuss-webrtc
Are you talking chromium, android, mac OSX, linux, or Windows?

Usama Shah

Jul 26, 2017, 4:40:04 AM7/26/17
to discuss-webrtc
Sorry, forgot to mention that. I am on Windows. h264_encoder_impl and ViEEncoder also appear useful. Is it somehow possible to send the externally encoded data?