Draft Specification for RAWR (Router Assisting With Relays) protocol for traversing symmetrical NATs

ja...@printtapp.com

Feb 15, 2018, 5:58:28 AM2/15/18
to discuss-webrtc
I've written a spec for a protocol which could help with traversing symmetrical (or any NAT).

It's built in a way that works with not against the underlying networking technology and NATs.
Meaning outbound connections only, no hole punching or insecure protocols such as uPnP.

It's flexible enough to work with routers that don't support it yet (but doesn't violate their networking system).

Would love to know your thoughts and if I should start building this :) As I think it needs a proof of concept.

Harald Alvestrand

Feb 15, 2018, 6:04:11 AM2/15/18
to WebRTC-discuss
Can you write this up in the form of an internet-draft and present it on the relevant IETF mailing lists?

I tend to distrust any specification for router manipulation that hasn't been presented in that forum.

--

---