Firefox 52 WebRTC and Web Audio Release Notes

Maire Reavy

Dec 9, 2016, 10:35:39 PM12/9/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com

Firefox 52 is now our Developer Edition version, and it's scheduled to go to Beta on January 24th and to Release on March 7th.  Detailed WebRTC (plus Web Audio) release notes for Firefox 52 are here.

If anyone has any questions about the release, the notes, or possible bugs in the code, feel free to reach out to me directly.

Cheers,
-Maire

------------------------------------

Noteworthy Changes:

  • IMPORTANT: The Screensharing whitelist is no longer needed to share your screen or windows. Please let us know if you find any problems!
    • Much of this work was front-end, UX/UI changes, including support to let the UI know what streams are "scary" to share (see bug 1284910). See the meta bug 1127522 for all the work that went into this.
    • Please read Jan-Ivar's blog post explaining the risks that users need to know about when sharing their screen or windows: https://blog.mozilla.org/webrtc/share-browser-windows-entire-screen-sites-trust/.
    • The new UI permission dialog for screensharing links to a SUMO article which is currently identical to Jan-Ivar's post, but our SUMO team will be tailoring it to a less technical user before Fx 52 goes to Beta.
  • Make Pulse Audio a hard dependency on Linux so that we reduce the problems and maintenance associated with maintaining multiple audio backends. See bug 1247056.
  • Renegotiation and track replacement were dropping the video resolution to CIF in previous releases. That is fixed by bug 1303279 and bug 1307507
  • Added support for ICE disconnected connection state, by monitoring timeouts for ICE consent requests. See bug 852665
  • Added mediaDevices.ondevicechange support to Windows and Linux and enabled it by default. See bug 1297337 and {{bug|1300468}. (NOTE: Support for Mac was added in Fx51, but it's not ready to be enabled by default).
  • Almost all of the cubeb landings are to address issues with libcubeb on Mac and Windows or to improve debugging on future problems
  • Implemented active/inactive state for MediaStreams and support for stopping all MediaStreamTracks. See bug 1208316 and bug 1301675, respectively.
  • Implemented 2 updates to match updates to the Web Audio spec: one to use linear interpolation when computing SetValueCurveAtTime events (bug 1265401) and the other to support ConstantSourceNode (bug 1308432
  • We fixed a lot of our WebRTCintermittent failures (too many to list here, but they are all listed below), but we believe this will make the product more stable for users

Alexandre GOUAILLARD

Dec 10, 2016, 2:29:20 AM12/10/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
thanks for all the good work.

Xmas is early this year :)

--

---

Alex. Gouaillard, PhD, PhD, MBA
President - CoSMo Software Consulting, Singapore