[PSA] WebRTC will move to a new source-of-truth Git repo on September 13

Edward Lemur

Sep 11, 2017, 3:06:35 PM9/11/17
to discuss...@googlegroups.com

TL:DR; WebRTC will move to a new source-of-truth Git repo on September 13 and you will need to update your checkouts.

As part of the migration from Rietveld to Gerrit for code review, we're forced to move to a new source-of-truth Git repo at webrtc.googlesource.com. This is a prerequisite for getting our own Gerrit instance, which in turn is a prerequisite for being able to use chromium.org and webrtc.org accounts independently (both cannot use the same review host as we use today: chromium.googlesource.com).

When will this happen?

We have automatic mirroring setup already from

https://chromium.googlesource.com/external/webrtchttps://webrtc.googlesource.com/src

and all other repos we use, where the new ones are currently read-only.

At September 13, starting at 9am PST, we will change the mirroring direction and make webrtc.googlesource.com writeable and the old repo read-only instead.

What do I need to do?

After the switch, you'll need to update all your WebRTC checkouts using these two commands for Mac/Linux:

sed -i='' 's/chromium.googlesource.com\/external\/webrtc/webrtc.googlesource.com\/src/g' .gclient

git config remote.origin.url https://webrtc.googlesource.com/src.git

(On Windows, edit your .gclient file and then run the second line)

That's it! Everything else should be transparent.

Going forward, you should start using https://webrtc.googlesource.com/src for everything, as https://chromium.googlesource.com/external/webrtc will keep on being mirrored only for 6 months according to the current plan.

PhistucK

Sep 11, 2017, 3:52:18 PM9/11/17
to WebRTC-discuss
Just curious - can you explain the motivation​ ("for being able to use chromium.org and webrtc.org accounts independently (both cannot use the same review host as we use today: chromium.googlesource.com).")?
The goal or how the changes will affect the goal are not clear me...

PhistucK

--

---

Edward Lemur

Sep 11, 2017, 4:51:23 PM9/11/17
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Some people use both chromium and webrtc accounts. When we move to Gerrit, they will be using the same code review (chromium-review.googlesource.com) page for both of them, which is inconvenient and hard to use.
To address this, we will set up a new Gerrit instance for WebRTC only at webrtc-review.googlesource.com, and that implies migrating the source of truth to another Git repo.

Edward Lemur

Sep 11, 2017, 4:53:05 PM9/11/17
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Another clarification:
Please note that, if your checkout is located in 'webrtc/src'

sed -i='' 's/chromium.googlesource.com\/external\/webrtc/webrtc.googlesource.com\/src/g' .gclient

should be run on 'webrtc/'  while

git config remote.origin.url https://webrtc.googlesource.com/src.git

should be run on 'webrtc/src'

Edward Lemur

Sep 13, 2017, 12:07:58 PM9/13/17
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
This is happening now.

Edward Lemur

Sep 13, 2017, 7:11:22 PM9/13/17
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
The migration is done now.
You should also authenticate in https://webrtc.googlesource.com/new-password using your webrtc account.
Let us know if you experience any problems.