PSA: Statistic record identifiers changing format

Harald Alvestrand

Jan 16, 2018, 7:54:41 AM1/16/18
to WebRTC-discuss
As part of the effort to increase our standards conformance wrt stats, we've changed the identifiers for MediaStreamTrack statistics (type "track" in the latest tip-of-tree Chrome.

They used to look like "RTCMediaStreamTrack_local_audio_12345" where 12345 was the SSRC.

The new format is "RTCMediaStreamTrack_sender_24" where 24 is a meaningless number.

The standard does not specify how these IDs are generated, just that they're unique and stable over the lifetime of the PC, but since these have looked the same way for a long time, we thought it was best to send out a PSA about this change.

There will be more changes to IDs in the future; now that we've warned you that they're volatile, we're not likely to send out PSAs for each of them - so please don't write code that depends on the format of the IDs!

Harald