Why Audio does not play in Chrome in WebRTC call

austin...@gmail.com

Nov 11, 2017, 10:04:49 PM11/11/17
to discuss-webrtc
I am in process of developing a c/c++ based webrtc client.
After call establishment with chrome(Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit)), I find audio does not play in chrome.

To do the test I have setup a small webrtc server / client using https://shanetully.com/2014/09/a-dead-simple-webrtc-example/.
I used two chrome browsers, made a call, I see audio / video working.

In my implementation (ubuntu 14.04, 64 bit environment)
1) I have not supported RTCP, I know it is required, but to play audio / video (quality not a concern as of now) it may not be mandatory.
2) I checked webrtc-internals, looks all fine (ice, dtls handshake etc). I do not see any error
3) I checked chrome-debug.log file (--enable-logging=v1), I see errors for video. For audio I do not see any error log.

I see in wireshark audio / video packets are exchanged both way.
I recorded chrome audio packets (wrote PCMA packets to a wav file). I can play it using ffplay.

I am clueless why chrome is not playing audio packets from my c/c++ app.

How to debug this, Any pointers, highly appreciated.
I first want to get audio working, next I will look at video.

Thanks
Austin

Philipp Hancke

Nov 12, 2017, 3:56:10 AM11/12/17
to WebRTC-discuss
if there is a video track in the sdp offer/answer, audio won't be played from a video element since the element needs to wait for the video size before it can play.
Try attaching to an audio element.

As of Chrome 61 you should be able to play your audio in an audio element: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=738379

--

---

Austin Einter

Nov 12, 2017, 10:16:19 AM11/12/17
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Philipp
I am planning to look at first video issue.
I understand, after making video work, audio should work.

Best Regards,
Austin

--

---