Converting an Existing WebRTC Checkout to Another Platform

Mpendulo Ndlovu

Oct 26, 2015, 8:40:48 AM10/26/15
to discuss-webrtc
Before doing a webRTC fetch one has to set the flags e.g

export GYP_DEFINES="OS=ios" and then fetch webrtc_ios OR
export GYP_DEFINES="OS=android"  and then fetch webrtc_android OR
export GYP_DEFINES="OS=mac target_arch=x64" and then fetch webrtc

Is there a way of fetching one platform, build it, and if you wish to build for another platform using the same repository you change some flags and do a gclient sync/ gclient runhooks without have to do a fetch_platform again.

Henrik Kjellander

Oct 27, 2015, 2:29:49 PM10/27/15
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
For Linux, it works fine to use a "fetch webrtc_android" checkout both for Linux and Android development (it only adds Android stuff on top of what Linux needs).
Similar with Mac and iOS (use a "fetch webrtc_ios" checkout).

Certainly you need to be on Mac/Linux for the two options though, there's no way to build cross those platforms.

Just make sure you set/export the GYP_DEFINES for the right platform and re-generate projects (running gclient runhooks or just webrtc/build/gyp_webrtc) when you switch between them.

--

---

Antonis Tsakiridis

May 24, 2016, 4:28:21 AM5/24/16
to discuss-webrtc
Hello Henrik,

I'm still a bit unclear on this. So can you use a single webrtc source tree to build both for iOS and Android in a Mac OSX host for example that offers a relatively similar environment to Linux?
If not how about using native OSX for iOS but share the codebase from a virtual box using an NFS share for Android? I think I 've seen the pristineio folks do that.

Best regards,
Antonis

Alexandre GOUAILLARD

May 24, 2016, 4:50:58 AM5/24/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
- which third party libraries and which versions (dependencies, a.k.a. DEPS) are downloaded
- which subdirectories of chrome are mapped into webrtc subdirs (symlinked,...)
- which compiler and build tool set is used
- which parameters are used for the build tool sets

are all decided at fetch and sync time, depending on OS and flags.

apart from the cross-compiled OSes (iOS on OSX, android on Linux), you cannot mix them in a single source tree.
for some target archs (e.g. 32 and 64 bits of the same processor type) you can maintain a single source tree, with separate build trees (e.g. out_32, out_64, out_sim for 3 archs of an iOS source tree in an OSX host). You still cannot do e.g. linux and OSX (or android and ios).

Alex. Gouaillard, PhD, PhD, MBA
Principal Architect - Citrix, San Francisco
President - CoSMo Software Consulting, Singapore

Antonis Tsakiridis

May 24, 2016, 6:22:02 AM5/24/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot Alexandre for your quick reply. It cleared up the landscape completely. It's too bad though this isn't possible :(. I wonder if there are plans towards an actual webrtc SDK for mobile devices from Google (iOS and Android). Would be so convenient for all people out striving to get the build right...

Best regards,
Antonis

--

---

Antonis Tsakiridis
Lead Developer, Mobile SDKs at TeleStax

Alexandre GOUAILLARD

May 24, 2016, 12:23:54 PM5/24/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com, Justin Uberti
I think there is. Justin keeps saying "official" cocoapods are on the way for example.

justin, do you have any update on this?

Antonis Tsakiridis

Aug 29, 2016, 9:13:43 AM8/29/16
to discuss-webrtc, jub...@google.com
By the way on the cocoapods subject I recently bumped into this https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webrtc/issues/detail?id=5737. So it seems it's already there, although I haven't tried building it myself. Also, another related discussion at:

Best regards,
Antonis Tsakiridis

sau...@includetech.co

Mar 15, 2017, 7:47:43 AM3/15/17
to discuss-webrtc, jub...@google.com
Hello,
How can one build webrtc for tvos?
Do we have make any changes to the source code and then compile?
Can anyone offer any assistance over this topic?
Any help is greatly appreciated..

Alexandre GOUAILLARD

Mar 15, 2017, 9:12:04 AM3/15/17
to discuss...@googlegroups.com, Justin Uberti
How can one build webrtc for tvos?

Do we have make any changes to the source code and then compile?

Some have done it in the past, and it does not seem too hard:

you can also try to use the official cocoa pads to help.

Can anyone offer any assistance over this topic?

maybe kapejod

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/discuss-webrtc/246232fb-9453-4831-83a2-37ecdc88f4d8%40googlegroups.com.

Alex. Gouaillard, PhD, PhD, MBA