Volume control in iOS 11 / iPhone 7

Gustavo García

Oct 13, 2017, 11:37:55 AM10/13/17
to discuss-webrtc
Volume control in iPhone 7 with iOS 11 don't affect the audio output volume.   I've seen this happening with different native mobile apps using WebRTC.

It works fine in iOS 11 if the device is not iPhone 7.   And it works in other apps probably not using WebRTC libraries out of the box like Whatsapp.

Anybody else having this issue?  Even better... any known workaround?

Regards,

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé

Oct 18, 2017, 3:14:44 AM10/18/17
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I haven’t seen this happen on an iPhone 7 Plus with latest iOS 11. Currently on M58.

Cheers,

--
Saúl

bl...@webrtc.org

Oct 18, 2017, 6:17:55 AM10/18/17
to discuss-webrtc
Hi Gustavo,

can you confirm that it works with other apps like Skype or Whatsapp?

Thanks,

Niklas

Strong Yao

Oct 20, 2017, 4:39:06 AM10/20/17
to discuss-webrtc
I have the same issue, It's seems iOS11+iPhone7 has bugs when doing volume control, iPhone8 also fails.

Skype uses CallKit, so it's OK with it. I guess setting the mode to AVAudioSessionModeVideoChat will fail the volume control. Still trying to find a way out...

在 2017年10月13日星期五 UTC+8下午11:37:55,Gustavo García写道:

Gustavo García

Oct 20, 2017, 1:48:10 PM10/20/17
to discuss-webrtc
Hi Niklas,

Sorry for the delay, it took time to find somebody to test it again.

It works well with WhatsApp and Facebook calls but it fails with our WebRTC based application.   I'm wondering if there is a specific combination of AVAudioSession configuration that could make this work and it is not the one used in WebRTC.

FWIW I know at least other two products using the WebRTC stack that are also having this issue

Regards,

--

---

Zeke Chin

Oct 20, 2017, 7:20:09 PM10/20/17
to discuss-webrtc
Are you referring to audio calls or video calls on WhatsApp and FBM?
The specific configuration that we think is failing for volume control is when speakerphone is used (via DefaultToSpeaker or speaker port override), which typically is only used for video but not for audio calls (where earpiece is used instead). Is that consistent with your own observation?

On Friday, October 13, 2017 at 5:37:55 PM UTC+2, Gustavo García wrote:
Volume control in iPhone 7 with iOS 11 don't affect the audio output volume.   I've seen this happening with different native mobile apps using WebRTC.

It works fine in iOS 11 if the device is not iPhone 7.   And it works in other apps probably not using WebRTC libraries out of the box like Whatsapp.

Anybody else having this issue?  Even better... any known workaround?

Regards,

--

---

---

Strong Yao

Oct 20, 2017, 11:25:42 PM10/20/17
to discuss-webrtc
Earpiece is OK, speakerphone has problems.

在 2017年10月21日星期六 UTC+8上午7:20:09,Zeke Chin写道:

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé

Oct 23, 2017, 4:38:52 AM10/23/17
to discuss...@googlegroups.com

> On Oct 21, 2017, at 05:25, Strong Yao <stron...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Earpiece is OK, speakerphone has problems.

How are you choosing to use the speaker? There are 2 ways to do it: port override, or selecting the AVAudioSession category. I haven’t seen a problem for the latter.

Cheers,

> 在 2017年10月21日星期六 UTC+8上午7:20:09,Zeke Chin写道:
> Are you referring to audio calls or video calls on WhatsApp and FBM?
> The specific configuration that we think is failing for volume control is when speakerphone is used (via DefaultToSpeaker or speaker port override), which typically is only used for video but not for audio calls (where earpiece is used instead). Is that consistent with your own observation?
>

> --
>
> ---

Saúl

Gustavo García

Oct 23, 2017, 6:17:52 AM10/23/17
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
AVAudioSession category

RTCAudioSessionConfiguration* config = [RTCAudioSessionConfiguration webRTCConfiguration];
webRTCConfig.categoryOptions = config.categoryOptions | AVAudioSessionCategoryOptionDefaultToSpeaker;
[RTCAudioSessionConfiguration setWebRTCConfiguration:config];

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé

Oct 23, 2017, 7:26:07 AM10/23/17
to discuss...@googlegroups.com

> On Oct 23, 2017, at 12:17, Gustavo García <gust...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> AVAudioSession category
>
> RTCAudioSessionConfiguration* config = [RTCAudioSessionConfiguration webRTCConfiguration];
> webRTCConfig.categoryOptions = config.categoryOptions | AVAudioSessionCategoryOptionDefaultToSpeaker;
> [RTCAudioSessionConfiguration setWebRTCConfiguration:config];

Ah, that would be a 3rd option then. We use the AVAudioSessionCategoryPlayAndRecord category with the AVAudioSessionModeVideoChat mode. In this mode the default output is the speaker. For audio calls we use the AVAudioSessionModeVoiceChat mode, which defaults to the earpiece.

You can set the mode with the setMode function in AVAduioSession: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/avfoundation/avaudiosession/1616614-setmode?language=objc

Cheers,

--
Saúl

Gustavo García

Oct 23, 2017, 9:31:21 AM10/23/17
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Good to know, thank you very much for sharing Saúl.

Unfortunately, we just tried that (code below) and it still doesn't work for us.

    RTCAudioSessionConfiguration* config = [RTCAudioSessionConfiguration webRTCConfiguration];
    config.category = AVAudioSessionCategoryPlayAndRecord;
    config.mode = AVAudioSessionModeVideoChat ;
    [RTCAudioSessionConfiguration setWebRTCConfiguration:config];

--

---

Yu John

Oct 28, 2017, 7:02:12 AM10/28/17
to discuss-webrtc
Both AVAudioSessionModeVideoChat and AVAudioSessionModeAudioChat will fail the volume control on iOS 11. I tested on iPhone 7 + iOS 11.0+

Wang Raymon

Nov 22, 2017, 4:00:33 AM11/22/17
to discuss-webrtc
I found the same problem! Volumn control in iphone 8 with ios 11 can not change thoe audio output volumn!
category = AVAudioSessionCategoryPlayAndRecord
mode = AVAudioSessionModeAudioChat

在 2017年10月13日星期五 UTC+8下午11:37:55,Gustavo García写道:
Volume control in iPhone 7 with iOS 11 don't affect the audio output volume.   I've seen this happening with different native mobile apps using WebRTC.

Henrik Andreasson

Nov 22, 2017, 5:06:28 AM11/22/17
to discuss-webrtc
I think this issue is resolved in the latest iOS 11.1.2 update.

--

---

Dax Booysen

Henrik Andreasson

Dec 8, 2017, 5:03:58 AM12/8/17
to discuss-webrtc
Did you try the latest iOS version?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/discuss-webrtc/e7dfc7a8-1099-463e-80cd-0b319e02aa15%40googlegroups.com.

Dax Booysen

Dec 8, 2017, 8:14:06 AM12/8/17
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
I did, and it works!

---
Dax Booysen
Director of Engineering

Jóhann Þorvaldur Bergþórsson

Dec 12, 2017, 3:27:57 AM12/12/17
to discuss-webrtc
It doesn't seem to be fixed for me (running on iOS 11.2 on iPhone 7). However, it is also like that in other apps (Messenger, Snapchat) that have video chat. I.e. I don't seem to be able to mute the audio by using the volume switch - it only goes down to 1.

I've tried many combinations of using AVAudioSession category, mode, and options but I've never managed to fully mute the audio by just using the volume switch.

Dax, what version of WebRTC, iOS, and configuration did you use that allowed you to mute the volume by using the buttons?

Best
Jóhann

Henrik Andreasson

Dec 12, 2017, 3:53:24 AM12/12/17
to discuss-webrtc
Jóhann,

this thread is about an issue where the "volume control in iPhone 7 with iOS 11 does not affect the audio output volume at all".
That issue is now resolved in latest iOS.

What you describe is something else and should be treated as a separate issue.

To me it sounds like iOS now supports the same model as Android has for a long time where VoIP apps can't reduce the output
volume all the way down to zero. In any case, WebRTC has not done any changes in this area in a long time; hence if there are
recent differences, it is due to iOS changes.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/discuss-webrtc/1aab5213-af7d-48bf-bb8b-247fa50a3a40%40googlegroups.com.

Dax Booysen

Dec 12, 2017, 1:54:02 PM12/12/17
to discuss-webrtc
+1 to Henrik's answer, including the mute. With VoiP apps I think the assumption is you are on "a call" and would not expect to mute the caller.

What I can add, is that you could essentially mute remote video tracks on their volume APIs, adding a UI element to do so as needed.

-Dax

Jóhann Þorvaldur Bergþórsson

Dec 13, 2017, 5:42:45 AM12/13/17
to discuss-webrtc
Ah, you're right, I misunderstood the issue you were talking about. Thanks for clearing that up.

I think you're also right about that this is just OS level behavior and we'll need to add a UI element to mute remote video tracks.

Sorry for accidentally hijacking the thread.
Thanks,
Jóhann

cheny...@17paipai.cn

Jan 26, 2018, 2:26:57 AM1/26/18
to discuss-webrtc
Hi, I have the same problem, have you get the solution?

在 2017年10月13日星期五 UTC+8下午11:37:55,Gustavo García写道:
Volume control in iPhone 7 with iOS 11 don't affect the audio output volume.   I've seen this happening with different native mobile apps using WebRTC.

minshu chen

Jan 26, 2018, 2:33:15 AM1/26/18
to discuss-webrtc
My configure is voicechat mode, playandrecord catory, DefaultToSpeeker catoryoptions, device is ihpone x, some other voice chat app work.