PSA: Chrome M51 WebRTC Release Notes

Christoffer Jansson

May 10, 2016, 4:27:08 AM5/10/16
to WebRTC-discuss

M51

WebRTC M51 branch (cut at r12279)

Summary

Chrome M51, currently available in Chrome's beta channel, contains over 40 bug fixes, enhancements and stability improvements. As with previous releases, we encourage all developers to run versions of Chrome on the Canary, Dev, and Beta channels frequently and quickly report any issues found. Please take a look at this page, for some pointers on how to file a good bug report. The help we have received has been invaluable!

The Chrome release schedule can be found here.

Important PSAs

Deprecations

  • Issue 5579 Remove unused legacy code in webrtc/sound.

  • Issue 5615 Removed unused legacy code in webrtc/media/devices.

  • Issue 5591 Remove deprecated AudioEncoder::Encode interfaces (including MaxEncodedBytes)

Features

Audio Screen Share

By adding the ‘audio’ constraint to the chooseDesktopMedia call, the user will have the option to share their system audio when screen sharing. This feature is currently only available on Windows and CrOS due to system limitations on other platforms. Try it out using the screen recorder extension.

Canvas CaptureStream

This new W3C API makes it possible to create a MediaStream from any 2d or WebGL canvas. This can be used to stream games, graphics, or mix video and screen content before sending as a single stream. Try it out here.

Promise-based methods for PeerConnection

This update to the PeerConnection W3C API allows promises to be used with the createOffer, createAnswer, setLocalDescription, setRemoteDescription and addCandidate  methods, which lets you structure code like:

pc.createOffer().then(offer => { pc.setLocalDescription(offer).then(...) })

Improved H.264 compatibility

The experimental support (still behind a flag) for H.264 in WebRTC now works with more H.264 endpoints, including Firefox.

Bugfixes and Features

  • Issue 543540 Test Firefox interoperability with H.264

  • Issue 578277 Remove QTKit support after Chrome stops supporting OS X older than 10.9

  • Issue 581790 Browser windows in screenshare dialog have black thumbnails and not visible after sharing, in Windows 10

  • Issue 584015 Excessive latency when using WebRTC with Logitech c930e webcam

  • Issue 586175 Remove workaround for Opus DTX noise pumping issue

  • Issue 590915 Occasionally broken window capture on Linux

  • Issue 1754803002 Crash in webrtc::WebRtcSessionDescriptionFactory::CopyCandidatesFromSessionDescription

  • Issue 594161 WebRTC HW decode stops after decoding error.

  • Issue 594722 Tab sharing for inactive tab broken

  • Issue 599848 [HTML5 video]: video playback is upside down

  • Issue 600050 Media recorder playback shows video upside down on device Ultima

  • Issue 600323 WebRTC H.264 DXVAVideoDecodeAccelerator/GLFenceNV crash on Debug/Windows

  • Issue 600558 Regression:Switching external camera is sending blank video during hangouts on device Squawks

  • Issue 1863593002 Updated description of WebRTC event log functionality on the chrome://webrtc-internals page.

  • Issue 600685 WebRtcVideoQualityBrowserTest.MANUAL_TestVideoQualityH264 crash

  • Issue 602813 desktopCapture: Share and Cancel buttons are partly visible in dialog

  • Issue 602989 Sending audio is stopped when AudioSendStreams are recreated

  • Issue 603266 desktopCapture: "Share audio" option not available in Linux, for tab only

  • Issue 603838 Stats for one-way delay is high

  • Issue 499126 Implement Promise-based methods in RTCPeerConnection

  • Issue 541561 Add wave header to diagnostic mic input file

  • Issue 554512 Add browser_tests and content_browsertests utilizing the VP9 codec

  • Issue 576794 Remove switches::kForceDirectShowVideoCapture

  • Issue 4591 Most-likely-to-work candidates should be tried first, not highest priority

  • Issue 5504 A/V Sync doesn't handle drift of incoming capture times

  • Issue 5505 VideoFrame Capture timestamp alignment to webrtc clock is inprecise

  • Issue 5524 SendSrtpToSrtpOnThread tests are flaky on TSan bot

  • Issue 5671 Muting/unmuting voe::Channel causes clicks

  • Issue 5772 Sending audio is stopped when AudioSendStreams are recreated

  • Issue 5493 Track stats for AV sync through UMA.

  • Issue 5607 Let NetEq::GetAudio take an AudioFrame instead of a raw pointer as output parameter

  • Issue 596174 Incorrect sampling frequency when looping a MediaStream

  • Issue 551303 Distorted WebAudio audio

  • Issue 5669 Reported audio delays are too high during codec-internal DTX/CNG

  • Issue 5750 Potential long delays between frames emitted in screenshare

  • Issue 5778 Too high adaptation speed in the AEC

--
/Chris

Hass Tian

May 11, 2016, 8:46:26 PM5/11/16
to discuss-webrtc
When will SVC be supported in Chrome?

Christoffer Jansson

May 12, 2016, 5:54:20 AM5/12/16
to WebRTC-discuss
Couple of extra last minute notable merges that made it to M51:
  • Issue 604523 WebRTC uses wrong audio device to output audio
  • Issue 606890 captureStream: Delay in playback of captured stream
--
/Chris

Christoffer Jansson

May 12, 2016, 6:06:20 AM5/12/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 2:46 AM Hass Tian <hass...@gmail.com> wrote:
When will SVC be supported in Chrome?
VP9 SVC is currently WIP, star bug https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webrtc/issues/detail?id=4148 to get the latest news.

/Chris
--

---
/Chris

Jeremy Noring

May 26, 2016, 1:16:17 PM5/26/16
to discuss-webrtc
Question about Canvas capture: I was just playing around with it, and I ran into a problem where when I change tabs or make the canvas not visible for whatever reason, it produces no output.  Is that a bug, or by design, or am I doing it wrong?  I'd really like to mix stuff into a canvas so I have flexibility with what gets encoded, but that definitely won't work if there's no output from the canvas when it isn't visible.

Wei

Jun 2, 2016, 8:49:04 AM6/2/16
to discuss-webrtc

Chris,

Would appreciate samples of "audio screen share".

-wei,

Christoffer Jansson

Jun 2, 2016, 8:54:06 AM6/2/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com, nik...@google.com
On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 7:16 PM Jeremy Noring <jno...@hirevue.com> wrote:
Question about Canvas capture: I was just playing around with it, and I ran into a problem where when I change tabs or make the canvas not visible for whatever reason, it produces no output.  Is that a bug, or by design, or am I doing it wrong?  I'd really like to mix stuff into a canvas so I have flexibility with what gets encoded, but that definitely won't work if there's no output from the canvas when it isn't visible.
+Niklas Enbom do you have any input here?

--

---
/Chris

Christoffer Jansson

Jun 2, 2016, 8:56:45 AM6/2/16
On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 2:49 PM Wei <weil...@gmail.com> wrote:

Chris,

Would appreciate samples of "audio screen share".
An extension is required, your best is to try the extension listed below.
--

---
/Chris

Wei Li

Jun 2, 2016, 9:39:23 AM6/2/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Chris,
Would appreciate samples of "audio screen share".
An extension is required, your best is to try the extension listed below.

I have a working extension that does not support audio during screen share, I just need a pointer on how to place the “audio” constraint.  I tried it myself as follows, but still could not get audio from shared screen:
chrome.desktopCapture.chooseDesktopMedia(["screen", "window", "audio"], ...
---

What did I do wrong?

Thanks for help.

-wei,

Christoffer Jansson

Jun 2, 2016, 10:10:00 AM6/2/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for help.

-wei,

--

---
/Chris

Wei

Jun 5, 2016, 4:53:40 AM6/5/16
to discuss-webrtc
Chris,

Thanks for the pointer.  Is audio-share sharing the sound captured by the microphone? or the sound being played in the shared document, such as a browser playing video/audio clips?

Thanks.

-wei,

jitendra swami

Jun 8, 2016, 3:23:41 AM6/8/16
to discuss-webrtc

it will share sound being played in the shared document. For microphone sound you can always use getusermedia.

Thanks,

Wei

Jun 8, 2016, 3:40:54 PM6/8/16
to discuss-webrtc
Thanks.

-wei,

Eric M

Jun 21, 2016, 1:47:09 AM6/21/16
to discuss-webrtc
This M51 release on iOS is bad, hasn't test it ?
We has detected 2 crash bug on ios.

在 2016年5月10日星期二 UTC+8下午4:27:08,Christoffer Jansson写道:

Philipp Hancke

Jun 21, 2016, 1:51:40 AM6/21/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
the chance of getting crashes fixed is much higher if you report them at https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webrtc/issues/list instead of saying that there are two of them.