WebRTC/Web Audio Release notes for Firefox 42

Maire Reavy

Aug 27, 2015, 11:06:22 AM8/27/15
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Development for Firefox 42 completed on August 10th.  We are now in the Firefox 43 dev cycle. WebRTC/Web Audio release notes for Firefox 42 are here.  Firefox 42 is scheduled to go to Beta on September 21st and to Release on November 2nd.

Firefox 42 is currently our Development Edition version.  Please help us test by using the Developer Edition of our product today.  Bugs reported against Developer Edition have an excellent probability of being fixed before that Firefox version goes to release.

If anyone has any questions about the release, the notes or possible bugs in the code, feel free to reach out to me directly.

Cheers,
-Maire

--
Maire Reavy
mre...@mozilla.com, m...@reavy.org

Maire Reavy

Oct 2, 2015, 11:10:07 AM10/2/15
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Development for Firefox 43 completed on Sept 21st.  We are now in the Firefox 44 dev cycle. Detailed WebRTC (plus Web Audio) release notes for Firefox 43 are here.  Below is a summary of noteworthy changes.  Firefox 43 is scheduled to go to Beta on November 2nd and to Release on December 14th.

Firefox 43 is currently our Development Edition version.  Please help us test by using the Developer Edition of our product today.  Bugs reported against Developer Edition have an excellent probability of being fixed before that Firefox version goes to release.

If anyone has any questions about the release, the notes or possible bugs in the code, feel free to reach out to me directly.

Cheers,
-Maire

NOTEWORTHY CHANGES in Firefox WebRTC version 43 (detailed release notes are here):

IMPORTANT: Firefox will no longer use RTP/SAVPF in m=audio and m=video SDP lines and will instead use UDP/TLS/RTP/SAVPF as required by the JSEP specification. Implementors and webrtc service providers should verify that their implementation/service can cope with this change. Firefox will permit the protocol to be changed back to RTP/SAVPF via SDP munging in JS, as a work around. (See bug 1094447 for more details.)

Other noteworthy changes:

  • TURN TCP is now supported under e10s
  • Pref'd on HTMLCanvasElement::CaptureStream support -- it is now on by default in Firefox43
  • Added the ability to change camera resolution with MediaStreamTrack.applyConstraints
  • Landed the foundations for Simulcast (phase 1)
  • Added platform support for multiple monitors
  • Continuing Web Audio performance improvements

NOTE: Bitrate property for MediaRecorder is now adjustable

Philipp Hancke

Oct 2, 2015, 2:40:01 PM10/2/15
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
thanks Maire! Note that Chrome will be doing the same in 46 -- see https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/discuss-webrtc/ZOjSMolpP40 and https://code.google.com/p/webrtc/issues/detail?id=2796
If you webrtc.org revision is older than may 2014 you might run into issues...

--

---