USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 webcam?

pablo

May 17, 2018, 6:03:42 AM5/17/18
to discuss-webrtc
Hi,

Most of the webcams today use USB 2.0 connection with MJPEG / H.264 compression.
Can WebRTC in Chrome use the full resolution and framerate of a USB 2.0 webcam or does it need USB 3.0 webcam to reach 1080p?
What are the important features when chosing a webcam to be used with Chrome?

For example, the Logitech C930E [1] has a USB 2.0 connection, H.264 with Scalable Video Coding and UVC 1.5 encoding.
The spec says it supports 1080p HD quality.

The Logitech BRIO [2] is a 4K webcam with USB 3.0 connection.
I don't need 4K but I wonder if the USB 3.0 connection is needed to reach decent quality if WebRTC can only use raw frames from the webcam.

Are there plans to leverage the webcam H.264 SVC encoding?

Thanks