New screen sharing picker in canary and beta enabled by default

bl...@webrtc.org

Jul 14, 2016, 5:54:12 AM7/14/16
to discuss-webrtc
You can start testing the new screen sharing window picker that is now enabled by default in Chrome canary and beta supporting tab and audio sharing. If you want to see tabs as an option you need to call chooseDesktopMedia with 'tab' as constraint; chooseDesktopMedia is an extension API. For quick testing, use https://test.webrtc.org/manual/peer2peer/ and click on "Screen capture". Make sure you install or update the extension from http://goo.gl/kLEycY) first. We would be happy to receive your feedback before enabling it in stable.

Philipp Hancke

Jul 15, 2016, 4:36:33 AM7/15/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Hey Niklas,

does tab sharing require a new permission (tabCapture?) in the manifest.json of the extension? I didn't see any changes when adding 'tab' as a constraint.

--

---

bl...@webrtc.org

Jul 15, 2016, 4:50:46 AM7/15/16
to discuss-webrtc
I can't find anything related in https://github.com/webrtc/testrtc/blob/master/src/manual/peer2peer/extension/manifest.json, I don't know if you can define these permissions e.g., for tab-only.

pablo platt

Aug 26, 2016, 10:41:44 AM8/26/16
to discuss...@googlegroups.com
Some feedback about the new screen sharing window picker.

1. Audio is only enabled for Entire screen and Chrome Tab but not for Application Window.
The audio checkbox is almost invisible. Users won't understand why audio doesn't work for Application Window.
Maybe show something like "No audio" in the Application Window tab?

2. The indication for the selected tab on Chrome Tab is not clear enough. The title is changed to bold and an outline is added.
It's important to give a very clear indication for the selected tab for security and user experience reasons.
I suggest to give the selected item a clear background color.

3. Minimized windows are missing from the Application Window list. Tested with Chrome 54 on Windows 7.
If it's not possible to show the thumbnail of a minimized window at least show a gray rectangle with the title below.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/discuss-webrtc/cdcf1415-5696-4441-9d0d-d6d342de5708%40googlegroups.com.

Christoffer Jansson

Sep 1, 2016, 7:23:17 AM9/1/16
On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 4:41 PM pablo platt <pablo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Some feedback about the new screen sharing window picker.

1. Audio is only enabled for Entire screen and Chrome Tab but not for Application Window.
The audio checkbox is almost invisible. Users won't understand why audio doesn't work for Application Window.
Maybe show something like "No audio" in the Application Window tab?
Please file a bug in crbug.com

2. The indication for the selected tab on Chrome Tab is not clear enough. The title is changed to bold and an outline is added.
It's important to give a very clear indication for the selected tab for security and user experience reasons.
I suggest to give the selected item a clear background color.
Please file a bug in crbug.com with screenshots and suggestions for improvements.

3. Minimized windows are missing from the Application Window list. Tested with Chrome 54 on Windows 7.
If it's not possible to show the thumbnail of a minimized window at least show a gray rectangle with the title below.
This is by design I believe due to limitations of the capture API's used in the OS.

On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 10:36:33 AM UTC+2, Philipp Hancke wrote:
[...]

pablo platt

Sep 1, 2016, 8:25:24 AM9/1/16
On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 2:22 PM, 'Christoffer Jansson' via discuss-webrtc <discuss...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

[...]

Isn't it possible to show a blank thumbnail and a title for a minimized window?