Showing off Disco at a school showcase

Justin Schwarz

Apr 19, 2015, 8:03:37 PM4/19/15
to disc...@googlegroups.com
I have been in the process as of late developing a Disco cluster for my individual research project at Indiana University and will be showing off my project at the schools student showcase on friday April 14. I was wondering if there were any programs that physically highlighted Discos ability to run in parallel. I have a 30 node (29 slaves + 1 master) cluster of Raspberry Pi B 2s and would like to be able to show, probably through the web interface, the cluster working its magic. I am not sure if the cluster will have access to the internet so if there is any way to get test data for any quick programs that would be delightful.

So guys, any ideas?

Tim Spurway

Apr 20, 2015, 10:02:49 AM4/20/15
to disc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Justin,

A lot of people are using the NYC Taxi data:

It is interesting, easy to understand, and really ‘clean’.  It has GEO data as well, which can make for interesting analysis.

To get a view of disco ‘doing it’s thing’, just open your web browser up to your disco master port 8989.  When you run a job, you will see your job running.  The little ‘compute’ boxes will turn yellow on each one of your nodes where a task is running.  The output window will track the progress of your job.

Hope that helps.  Good luck!

On Apr 19, 2015, at 7:11 PM, Justin Schwarz <justin.a...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have been in the process as of late developing a Disco cluster for my individual research project at Indiana University and will be showing off my project at the schools student showcase on friday April 14. I was wondering if there were any programs that physically highlighted Discos ability to run in parallel. I have a 30 node (29 slaves + 1 master) cluster of Raspberry Pi B 2s and would like to be able to show, probably through the web interface, the cluster working its magic. I am not sure if the cluster will have access to the internet so if there is any way to get test data for any quick programs that would be delightful.

So guys, any ideas?

Justin Schwarz

Apr 21, 2015, 11:04:19 AM4/21/15
to disc...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the quick response! I was hoping or a more complete program strictly because I only have 2 days till the showcase and I haven't had much time to get to know Tue API, but it's a step in the right direction!

Thanks again!