[Dillo-dev] Status of dillo_grows

Sebastian Geerken

Apr 13, 2016, 4:31:08 PM4/13/16
to dill...@dillo.org
Hi!

I've just pushed some optimizatios to
<http://flpsed.org/hgweb/dillo_grows>, so that all performance issues
I know of seem fixed now. Since this version runs quite stable, I'd
like to merge this into the main repository at hg.dillo.org, so that
it hopefully soon becomes a new release. What do you think?

Sebastian

signature.asc

Nick Warne

Apr 14, 2016, 2:05:02 PM4/14/16
to dill...@dillo.org
Hi all,
I have messed about a bit with hg, but getting nowhere.

What is the URL to the repository (default?) to clone the latest Dillo
build?

Thanks,

Nick
--
Gosh that takes me back... or is it forward? That's the trouble with
time travel, you never can tell."

Johannes Hofmann

Apr 14, 2016, 2:25:00 PM4/14/16
to dill...@dillo.org
On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 07:02:47PM +0100, Nick Warne wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On 13/04/16 21:29, Sebastian Geerken wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've just pushed some optimizatios to
> > <http://flpsed.org/hgweb/dillo_grows>, so that all performance issues
> > I know of seem fixed now. Since this version runs quite stable, I'd
> > like to merge this into the main repository at hg.dillo.org, so that
> > it hopefully soon becomes a new release. What do you think?
>
> I have messed about a bit with hg, but getting nowhere.
>
> What is the URL to the repository (default?) to clone the latest Dillo
> build?

you can get the dillo_grows branch with

hg clone http://flpsed.org/hgweb/dillo_grows

Cheers,
Johannes

Johannes Hofmann

Apr 14, 2016, 2:26:05 PM4/14/16
to dill...@dillo.org
I'm running it for some minutes now and it feels super fast!
I'll report back after some more testing.

Nick Warne

Apr 14, 2016, 2:37:16 PM4/14/16
to dill...@dillo.org

On 14/04/16 19:22, Johannes Hofmann wrote:
>> What is the URL to the repository (default?) to clone the latest Dillo
>> build?
>
> you can get the dillo_grows branch with
>
> hg clone http://flpsed.org/hgweb/dillo_grows

OK, thanks... but there is no ./configure file.

Nick
--
Gosh that takes me back... or is it forward? That's the trouble with
time travel, you never can tell."
-- Doctor Who "Androids of Tara"

Nick Warne

Apr 14, 2016, 2:38:35 PM4/14/16
to dill...@dillo.org

On 14/04/16 19:24, Johannes Hofmann wrote:

> I'm running it for some minutes now and it feels super fast!

Heh. Dillo on my lowly notebook is to fast - quicker than an eyeblick -
how can it get faster?

Nick
--
Gosh that takes me back... or is it forward? That's the trouble with
time travel, you never can tell."
-- Doctor Who "Androids of Tara"

Nick Warne

Apr 14, 2016, 2:40:14 PM4/14/16
to dill...@dillo.org

On 14/04/16 19:35, Nick Warne wrote:

> On 14/04/16 19:22, Johannes Hofmann wrote:
>>> What is the URL to the repository (default?) to clone the latest Dillo
>>> build?
>>
>> you can get the dillo_grows branch with
>>
>> hg clone http://flpsed.org/hgweb/dillo_grows
>
> OK, thanks... but there is no ./configure file.

Ignore this - me being an idiot.

All is fine.

Nick Warne

Apr 14, 2016, 3:11:13 PM4/14/16
to dill...@dillo.org

On 14/04/16 19:24, Johannes Hofmann wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 10:29:14PM +0200, Sebastian Geerken wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I've just pushed some optimizatios to
>> <http://flpsed.org/hgweb/dillo_grows>, so that all performance issues
>> I know of seem fixed now. Since this version runs quite stable, I'd
>> like to merge this into the main repository at hg.dillo.org, so that
>> it hopefully soon becomes a new release. What do you think?

I am sorry, this build is borken:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com

There are lots of forums there - this build of Dillo only shows the
first screen with no option to scroll down.

Also I have found a few other issues.

Nick

Gosh that takes me back... or is it forward? That's the trouble with
time travel, you never can tell."
-- Doctor Who "Androids of Tara"

Sebastian Geerken

Apr 14, 2016, 4:07:46 PM4/14/16
to dill...@dillo.org
On Do, Apr 14, 2016, Nick Warne wrote:
> On 14/04/16 19:24, Johannes Hofmann wrote:
> >On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 10:29:14PM +0200, Sebastian Geerken wrote:
> >>Hi!
> >>
> >>I've just pushed some optimizatios to
> >><http://flpsed.org/hgweb/dillo_grows>, so that all performance issues
> >>I know of seem fixed now. Since this version runs quite stable, I'd
> >>like to merge this into the main repository at hg.dillo.org, so that
> >>it hopefully soon becomes a new release. What do you think?
>
> I am sorry, this build is borken:
>
> http://forums.thinkbroadband.com
>
> There are lots of forums there - this build of Dillo only shows the first
> screen with no option to scroll down.
>
> Also I have found a few other issues.

I see the problem with forums.thinkbroadband.com, I'll look at it.

However, the current version at hg.dillo.org shows the same problem,
so this should not block the merge, only a release.

Sebastian

signature.asc

Nick Warne

Apr 15, 2016, 2:17:57 PM4/15/16
to dill...@dillo.org
One more issue to look at - on one of my pages, the in line style
renders correctly with:

text-align: center;">
engine]&nbsp;</b></font>

Now, current release Dillo just makes it a background colour bar ~
acceptable. Your patch makes it a sort of underscore coloured line that
passes through the text.

To test:

https://linicks.net/AnAdIc/

Nick

Nick Warne

Apr 16, 2016, 6:59:17 AM4/16/16
to dill...@dillo.org

On 16/04/16 11:46, Per Andersson wrote:
> Please enlighten us other idiots!
> Best regards
>
> Per Andersson

Once grabbing the clone, cd into the dillo_grows directory and first run
./autogen.sh

This will create the configure files etc.

Nick

Sebastian Geerken

Apr 16, 2016, 9:40:03 AM4/16/16
to dill...@dillo.org
On Fr, Apr 15, 2016, Nick Warne wrote:
> One more issue to look at - on one of my pages, the in line style renders
> correctly with:

> center;">
> engine]&nbsp;</b></font>
>
> Now, current release Dillo just makes it a background colour bar ~
> acceptable. Your patch makes it a sort of underscore coloured line that
> passes through the text.
>
> To test:
>
> https://linicks.net/AnAdIc/

Again, this is again an issue also with the version at hg.dillo.org,
although the result is slightly different.

From what I see at a first glance the problem is that backgrounds for
inline sections is not yet supported.

If noone reports severe problems with dillo_grows, which do *not*
affect the version at hg.dillo.org, I'll do the merge soon.

Sebastian

signature.asc

Nick Warne

Apr 16, 2016, 10:09:23 AM4/16/16
to dill...@dillo.org
Hi Sebastian,
Thanks for the hard work. I don't understand what you mean by that last
sentence. If dillo_grows does have a few issues, then surely merging it
with hg.dillo.org will taint that too? Or have I read it wrong?

Sebastian Geerken

Apr 16, 2016, 11:17:36 AM4/16/16
to dill...@dillo.org
Not if a bug is already in hg.dillo.org.

Sebastian

signature.asc

Sebastian Geerken

Apr 17, 2016, 5:44:51 AM4/17/16
to dill...@dillo.org
On Fr, Apr 15, 2016, Nick Warne wrote:
> One more issue to look at - on one of my pages, the in line style renders
> correctly with:

> center;">
> engine]&nbsp;</b></font>
>
> Now, current release Dillo just makes it a background colour bar ~
> acceptable. Your patch makes it a sort of underscore coloured line that
> passes through the text.

I looked at this in detail, and found some strange behaviour in all
three versions of dillo (3.0.4, 3.1-dev, and 3.1-dev_grows2). Consider
this HTML:

A <span style="background-color: green">B</span> C

In the first line, "B" is shown with a green background, as expected,
but not in the second line, where the only difference is the <font>
element.

Is this a bug of the HTML parser?

Sebastian

signature.asc

Sebastian Geerken

Apr 17, 2016, 6:41:57 AM4/17/16
to dill...@dillo.org
On Do, Apr 14, 2016, Nick Warne wrote:
> I am sorry, this build is borken:
>
> http://forums.thinkbroadband.com

This is a problem with CSS `height`. Consider this HTML:

tradere et negent satis esse, quid bonum sit aut quid
malum, sensu iudicari, sed animo etiam ac ratione
intellegi posse et voluptatem ipsam per se esse
expetendam et dolorem ipsum per se esse
fugiendum. itaque aiunt hanc quasi naturalem atque
insitam in animis nostris inesse notionem, ut alterum
esse appetendum, alterum aspernandum sentiamus. Alii
autem, quibus ego assentior, cum a philosophis
compluribus permulta dicantur, cur nec voluptas in bonis
sit numeranda nec in malis dolor, non existimant
oportere nimium nos causae confidere, sed et
argumentandum et accurate disserendum et rationibus
conquisitis de voluptate et dolore disputandum
putant.</td>

Dillo shows the table only 20px high, while Firefox seems to treat
`height` the same way as `min-height`. I'm not sure which is correct,
but probably we ought to do something about this, even if dillo is
correct.

Sebastian

signature.asc

Nick Warne

Apr 17, 2016, 7:08:14 AM4/17/16
to dill...@dillo.org
Using Dillo 3.0.5, that table looks the same in Dillo, Firefox and
links/lynx (but no border in links or lynx, of course).

?

Nick

Sebastian Geerken

Apr 17, 2016, 7:23:46 AM4/17/16
to dill...@dillo.org
On So, Apr 17, 2016, Nick Warne wrote:
> On 17/04/16 11:40, Sebastian Geerken wrote:
> >On Do, Apr 14, 2016, Nick Warne wrote:
> >>I am sorry, this build is borken:
> >>
> >>http://forums.thinkbroadband.com
> >
> >This is a problem with CSS `height`. Consider this HTML:

> > [...]
> > putant.</td>
> >
> >Dillo shows the table only 20px high, while Firefox seems to treat
> >`height` the same way as `min-height`. I'm not sure which is correct,
> >but probably we ought to do something about this, even if dillo is
> >correct.
>
> Using Dillo 3.0.5, that table looks the same in Dillo, Firefox and
> links/lynx (but no border in links or lynx, of course).
>
> ?

Simple answer: dillo 3.0.5 does not yet support CSS `height`.

Sebastian

signature.asc

Sebastian Geerken

Apr 17, 2016, 7:27:13 AM4/17/16
to dill...@dillo.org
On So, Apr 17, 2016, Nick Warne wrote:
> On 17/04/16 11:40, Sebastian Geerken wrote:
> >On Do, Apr 14, 2016, Nick Warne wrote:
> >>I am sorry, this build is borken:
> >>
> >>http://forums.thinkbroadband.com
> >
> >This is a problem with CSS `height`. Consider this HTML:

> > [...]
> > putant.</td>
> >
> >Dillo shows the table only 20px high, while Firefox seems to treat
> >`height` the same way as `min-height`. I'm not sure which is correct,
> >but probably we ought to do something about this, even if dillo is
> >correct.
>
> Using Dillo 3.0.5, that table looks the same in Dillo, Firefox and
> links/lynx (but no border in links or lynx, of course).
>
> ?

The problem with versions 3.1-dev (at hg.dillo.org) and
3.1-dev_grows2. Dillo 3.0.5 has no problem, since CSS `heigh` was
introduced in the 3.1-dev version (not yet released).

Sebastian

signature.asc

Jorge Arellano Cid

Apr 17, 2016, 11:16:59 AM4/17/16
to dill...@dillo.org
On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 10:29:14PM +0200, Sebastian Geerken wrote:
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeey!!!

Just started testing and got the feeling of our older dillo's speed again!

It *feels* great!

--
Cheers
Jorge.-

Jorge Arellano Cid

Apr 17, 2016, 11:30:45 AM4/17/16
to dill...@dillo.org
Hi Nick,

Thanks for your enthusiasm.

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 03:07:06PM +0100, Nick Warne wrote:
> On 16/04/16 14:38, Sebastian Geerken wrote:
> >On Fr, Apr 15, 2016, Nick Warne wrote:
> >> [...]
> >>To test:
> >>
> >>https://linicks.net/AnAdIc/
> >
> >Again, this is again an issue also with the version at hg.dillo.org,
> >although the result is slightly different.
> >
> > From what I see at a first glance the problem is that backgrounds for
> >inline sections is not yet supported.
> >
> >If noone reports severe problems with dillo_grows, which do *not*
> >affect the version at hg.dillo.org, I'll do the merge soon.
>
> Thanks for the hard work. I don't understand what you mean by that last
> sentence. If dillo_grows does have a few issues, then surely merging it
> with hg.dillo.org will taint that too? Or have I read it wrong?

The point is a merge (moving the new rendering from grows to
main). When this happens, a bug is _not_ regarded as a merge
stopper when it also shows in the main repo (as the bug proves to
be preexistent and not introduced by the new code).

That's why core-devs are testing the branch as much as they can
before giving the green light. Just checking no easily spottable
bugs sneak into the main repo before the merge.

Of course some bugs can make it into it undetected, but those,
after the merge, are regarded as normal bugs thereon.

--
Cheers
Jorge.-

Jorge Arellano Cid

Apr 17, 2016, 11:40:03 AM4/17/16
to dill...@dillo.org
On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 11:56:59AM +0100, Nick Warne wrote:

> On 16/04/16 11:46, Per Andersson wrote:
> >Please enlighten us other idiots!
> >Best regards
> >
> >Per Andersson
>
> Once grabbing the clone, cd into the dillo_grows directory and first run
> ./autogen.sh
>
> This will create the configure files etc.

From our main page [1], I strongly recommend these links:

[New Developer]
[Source repository]

they have quickstart guides.

[1] www.dillo.org

PD: no need to feel bad about asking. Even I do need to go there to from
time to time to remember some forgotten spells. ;)

--
Cheers
Jorge.-