[Dillo-dev] Alternative styles support?

1 view

John Found

May 24, 2015, 3:42:08 AM5/24/15
to Dillo mailing list
Hi, Dillo team.

Are there plans about supporting alternative page styles?

I mean, those defined by <link rel="alternate stylesheet" />.

This should be really easy to be implemented. In addition,
if there is defined style with name="Dillo", it can be switched
by default and this way to provide better support for Dillo
from the web masters.

Of course this behaviour can be made optional.

Best Regards.

--
http://fresh.flatassembler.net
http://asm32.info

eocene

May 24, 2015, 11:41:39 AM5/24/15
to dill...@dillo.org
John wrote:
> Are there plans about supporting alternative page styles?
>
> I mean, those defined by <link rel="alternate stylesheet" />.

I'd sort of idly considered it. How is the existence of these
alternatives presented in other browsers? How common are
alternative stylesheets on the contemporary web?

John Found

May 24, 2015, 3:08:04 PM5/24/15
to dill...@dillo.org
On Sun, 24 May 2015 15:39:14 +0000
eocene <eoc...@gmx.com> wrote:

> John wrote:
> > Are there plans about supporting alternative page styles?
> >
> > I mean, those defined by <link rel="alternate stylesheet" />.
>
> I'd sort of idly considered it. How is the existence of these
> alternatives presented in other browsers? How common are
> alternative stylesheets on the contemporary web?

This is feature, supported by all major browsers. I don't know about the
whole www, but I have a site, that uses such approach:

http://fresh.flatassembler.net

The supplementary style (named Revolution) was made because of user
request - he/she wanted to use more screen area and without hidden
menus.

eocene

May 24, 2015, 3:28:36 PM5/24/15
to dill...@dillo.org
John wrote:
> On Sun, 24 May 2015 15:39:14 +0000
> eocene <eoc...@gmx.com> wrote:
>
> > John wrote:
> > > Are there plans about supporting alternative page styles?
> > >
> > > I mean, those defined by <link rel="alternate stylesheet" />.
> >
> > I'd sort of idly considered it. How is the existence of these
> > alternatives presented in other browsers? How common are
> > alternative stylesheets on the contemporary web?
>
> This is feature, supported by all major browsers. I don't know about the
> whole www, but I have a site, that uses such approach:
>
> http://fresh.flatassembler.net
>
> The supplementary style (named Revolution) was made because of user
> request - he/she wanted to use more screen area and without hidden
> menus.

How do other browsers inform the user that alternative stylesheets are
available?

Sebastian Geerken

May 24, 2015, 3:48:40 PM5/24/15
to dill...@dillo.org
On So, Mai 24, 2015, eocene wrote:
> John wrote:
> > On Sun, 24 May 2015 15:39:14 +0000
> > eocene <eoc...@gmx.com> wrote:

> > > I'd sort of idly considered it. How is the existence of these
> > > alternatives presented in other browsers? How common are
> > > alternative stylesheets on the contemporary web?
> >
> > This is feature, supported by all major browsers. I don't know about the
> > whole www, but I have a site, that uses such approach:
> >
> > http://fresh.flatassembler.net
> >
> > The supplementary style (named Revolution) was made because of user
> > request - he/she wanted to use more screen area and without hidden
> > menus.
>
> How do other browsers inform the user that alternative stylesheets are
> available?

Iceweasel (Firefox):
View -> Page Style -> (No Style | Fresh, Revolution)

Haven't yet found out how it works with Chromium.

In dillo, it should be rather simple to integrate the styles into the
tools menu. Perhaps some configuration per site would be nice, too.

Sebastian

signature.asc

John Found

May 24, 2015, 3:49:16 PM5/24/15
to dill...@dillo.org
On Sun, 24 May 2015 19:26:17 +0000
eocene <eoc...@gmx.com> wrote:

> How do other browsers inform the user that alternative stylesheets are
> available?

In firefox, all styles can be switched from "View|Page Style" menu. Also, there is a plugin that
displays the available styles in the status bar, allows fast switching and can remember the preferred
style for the particular web sites.

eocene

May 24, 2015, 4:42:23 PM5/24/15
to dill...@dillo.org
Sebastian wrote:
> Iceweasel (Firefox):
> View -> Page Style -> (No Style | Fresh, Revolution)

Only now do I find that it's possible to get the menu bar back. I believe
mine disappeared when firefox decided to move everything into that stupid
three-horizontal-bars icon because they're trend-followers, and anyway I
thought that was just the new terrible way of things to not have access
to anything anymore.

John Found

May 24, 2015, 5:00:52 PM5/24/15
to dill...@dillo.org
On Sun, 24 May 2015 20:39:55 +0000
eocene <eoc...@gmx.com> wrote:

> Sebastian wrote:
> > Iceweasel (Firefox):
> > View -> Page Style -> (No Style | Fresh, Revolution)
>
> Only now do I find that it's possible to get the menu bar back. I believe
> mine disappeared when firefox decided to move everything into that stupid
> three-horizontal-bars icon because they're trend-followers, and anyway I
> thought that was just the new terrible way of things to not have access
> to anything anymore.

LOL! That is why I use PaleMoon browser. The same FireFox, but with
classic interface. :D

eocene

May 24, 2015, 8:03:36 PM5/24/15
to dill...@dillo.org
Sebastian wrote:
> In dillo, it should be rather simple to integrate the styles into the
> tools menu. Perhaps some configuration per site would be nice, too.

Do you suppose it would be more suitable to keep the user's setting for
a page in nav or in cache? Objectively, cache seems right, but in some
way feels like an unusual intrusion.

Sebastian Geerken

May 25, 2015, 7:35:41 AM5/25/15
to dill...@dillo.org
On Mo, Mai 25, 2015, eocene wrote:
> Sebastian wrote:
> > In dillo, it should be rather simple to integrate the styles into the
> > tools menu. Perhaps some configuration per site would be nice, too.
>
> Do you suppose it would be more suitable to keep the user's setting for
> a page in nav or in cache? Objectively, cache seems right, but in some
> way feels like an unusual intrusion.

It should resemble the current behaviour for "Use remote CSS" etc.
Which I find rather confusing, admittedly: Switching it in one browser
window switches the check boxes in all windows, but re-renders the
page only in one window.

And, what I meant previously: a simple text file in which pages and
sites can be configured.

Sebastian

signature.asc

higuita

May 26, 2015, 5:12:10 PM5/26/15
to eocene, dill...@dillo.org
Hi!

On Sun, 24 May 2015 20:39:55 +0000, eocene <eoc...@gmx.com> wrote:
> Sebastian wrote:
> > Iceweasel (Firefox):
> > View -> Page Style -> (No Style | Fresh, Revolution)
> Only now do I find that it's possible to get the menu bar back. I

hehehe, most people don't know about the firefox menu bar, but is
easy to get to it, just press "alt" for a temporary access or right click
on the existent bar and select that you want to see the menu permanently

> believe mine disappeared when firefox decided to move everything into
> that stupid three-horizontal-bars icon because they're trend-followers,

Not just trend followers, netbooks have a lot less screen size
than desktops and the existence of the status bar and menu bar removes
precious screen size, so that decision was to increase usable space.

Of course i have the opinion that FF should check the screen
size and change the default based on that... but i understand that would
break consistency.

Back to the on-topic: i would also agree that alternative styles
support would be good thing. right now i have to switch off embebed or
external CSS to be able to read some sites, a way to use other styles
or even force a "personal" style would help in many sites.

Best regards,
higuita
--
Naturally the common people don't want war... but after all it is the
leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a