[Dillo-dev] The FAQ example on png/redirection not anymore accurate

mirosla...@zg.ht.hr

Jul 7, 2015, 3:18:29 AM7/7/15
to dill...@dillo.org
Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I write is in my best understanding
and with the intention to help my most used browser get even better.

The FAQ entry:
"Why doesn't Dillo display certain images?"
at:
http://www.dillo.org/FAQ.html#q28

doesn't show any of:
... 'blog.reuters.com' to 'ad.doubleclick.net'

as the text currently reads, which probably means they have read our FAQ
and decided to change those redirections.

This is what I actually get when I uncomment the line which is commented
the way the built-in default settings are, as it says in the top of
~/.dillo/dillorc to read:

show_msg=YES

(but it shows the same even if I leave if commented out; it's the
default, I retried with it commented out: same)

$ Domain: Default accept.
dillo_dns_init: Here we go! (threaded)
Enabling cookies as from cookiesrc...
** WARNING **: preferred sans-serif font "DejaVu Sans" not found.
** WARNING **: preferred serif font "DejaVu Serif" not found.
** WARNING **: preferred monospace font "DejaVu Sans Mono" not found.
** WARNING **: preferred cursive font "URW Chancery L" not found.
** WARNING **: preferred fantasy font "DejaVu Sans" not found.
Nav_open_url: new url='about:splash'
Nav_open_url: new url='http://en.wikipedia.org'
Dns_server [0]: en.wikipedia.org is 91.198.174.192 2620:0:862:ed1a::1
Connecting to 91.198.174.192
Nav_open_url: new url='https://en.wikipedia.org/'
Nav_open_url: new url='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page'
NumPendingStyleSheets=1
NumPendingStyleSheets=2
Png_error_handling: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

So probably the example should be changed to reflect this changed
reality, so users would not get confused as they will probably see none
of those 'reuters' lines in the messages on their terminal.

Maybe it would be sufficient to just rewrite that item of the FAQ to
mean that previously they would have seen those messages... Don't know.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong.

On another note, I got the new 3.0.5, as it is available in gentoo, but
I have the same fonts not found issue which I had previously described
(and it's there in yesterday's real output form my system, further
above; it was yesterday, the delay being for unrelated reasons), and
about which (the fonts not found issue) I will next send another
message, with different, appropriate subject, to this list, I hope.

Cheers!

--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia

eocene

Jul 7, 2015, 9:39:58 AM7/7/15
to dill...@dillo.org
miroslav.rovis1 wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I write is in my best understanding
> and with the intention to help my most used browser get even better.
>
> The FAQ entry:
> "Why doesn't Dillo display certain images?"
> at:
> http://www.dillo.org/FAQ.html#q28
>
> doesn't show any of:
> ... 'blog.reuters.com' to 'ad.doubleclick.net'
>
> as the text currently reads, which probably means they have read our FAQ
> and decided to change those redirections.

Rewrote the FAQ entry in an effort to emphasize that it was showing what
was happening at the time and isn't exactly what you're likely to see today.
The hope is that people see the principle involved from the example, that
sometimes it blocked things that you wanted, and sometimes it blocked things
that you did not want.