[Dillo-dev] How to do a local install?

Walter Dnes

Jan 21, 2015, 5:42:28 PM1/21/15
to dill...@dillo.org
It's taken me a while to get around to trying to install from the git
repository. With experimental stuff, I prefer to do things in my local
directory, so that if it blows up, it doesn't blow up with root
permissions. I've done this in the past with other software, so I think
it can be done. Note that I'm running in Gentoo, if it makes any
difference. I have fltk-1.3.2 installed with USE="opengl threads xft"
enabled and other fltk options disabled. Here's my
/home/waltdnes/dillo/dbuild script, which I've loosely based on
instructions at http://www.dillo.org/source.html After the initial
"hg clone" command, updates are pulled in by "git pull" from inside the
dillo3 directory; is that correct?

#!/bin/bash
# hg clone http://hg.dillo.org/dillo dillo3
cd /home/waltdnes/dillo/dillo3
PREFIX=/home/waltdnes/.local
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables"
CXXFLAGS=${CFLAGS}
make clean
git pull
./autogen.sh
./configure
make
make install-strip

The process works until the last step, where it's suggested to sudo,
to allow installing in /usr/local It fails like so...

make[4]: Entering directory '/home/waltdnes/dillo/dillo3/src'
/bin/mkdir -p '/usr/local/bin'
/bin/sh /home/waltdnes/dillo/dillo3/install-sh -c -s dillo '/usr/local/bin'
cp: cannot create regular file '/usr/local/bin/_inst.22011_': Permission denied
Makefile:538: recipe for target 'install-binPROGRAMS' failed
make[4]: *** [install-binPROGRAMS] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/waltdnes/dillo/dillo3/src'
Makefile:856: recipe for target 'install-am' failed
make[3]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/waltdnes/dillo/dillo3/src'
Makefile:695: recipe for target 'install-recursive' failed
make[2]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/waltdnes/dillo/dillo3/src'
Makefile:469: recipe for target 'install-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/waltdnes/dillo/dillo3'
Makefile:767: recipe for target 'install-strip' failed
make: *** [install-strip] Error 2

What settings do I need to make to get the install totally in my home
directory? While I'm at it, what are the manual tweaks to enable
"gif jpeg png ssl" and disable "-doc -ipv6" in the build? Can all the
settings be put into local.mk, so I can "set it and forget it"?

--
Walter Dnes <walt...@waltdnes.org>

James C

Jan 21, 2015, 6:16:39 PM1/21/15
to dill...@dillo.org
Hello Walter (via the list, for future readers' reference),

I think that I'm succeeding in doing what you want.

I did it with configure options, which I keep in a very small shell script:

-----
./configure --prefix=/Users/jamescone/buildTrees --enable-ssl
--enable-dependency-tracking
-----

I also have a very small shell script for setting the build environment:

--------
export CFLAGS="-I/opt/local/include -g"
export CXXFLAGS="$CFLAGS -g"

export LDFLAGS="-L/opt/local/lib -g"

export PS1='$(echo $PWD\$\ | sed -e "
s#.*versions/##
s#/dillo-jfw01/#:#
")'
--------

Related to the PS1 bit, I have a christmas tree of versions, to try to
keep a variety of partially-done patches separate. Somewhere in my
path, there is a /versions/ subdirectory, and it shows me the
subdirectory inside that, and the path inside the hg checkout. I
started doing that because I was making too many mistakes, doing
things to the wrong subtree.

Regards,
James.

Walter Dnes

Jan 22, 2015, 2:40:28 AM1/22/15
to dill...@dillo.org
On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 12:15:13PM +1300, James C wrote
> Hello Walter (via the list, for future readers' reference),
>
> I think that I'm succeeding in doing what you want.
>
> I did it with configure options, which I keep in a very small shell script:
>
> -----
> ./configure --prefix=/Users/jamescone/buildTrees --enable-ssl
> --enable-dependency-tracking
> -----
>
> I also have a very small shell script for setting the build environment:
>
> --------
> export CFLAGS="-I/opt/local/include -g"
> export CXXFLAGS="$CFLAGS -g"
>
> export LDFLAGS="-L/opt/local/lib -g"
>
> export PS1='$(echo $PWD\$\ | sed -e "
> s#.*versions/##
> s#/dillo-jfw01/#:#
> ")'
> --------
>
> Related to the PS1 bit, I have a christmas tree of versions, to try to
> keep a variety of partially-done patches separate. Somewhere in my
> path, there is a /versions/ subdirectory, and it shows me the
> subdirectory inside that, and the path inside the hg checkout. I
> started doing that because I was making too many mistakes, doing
> things to the wrong subtree.

Thanks very much. I'm up and running and Dillo comes up with the
"Welcome to Dillo 3.1-dev" splash screen. Now to copy over some
settings from my previous dillorc, and start surfing, and (hopefully not
too much) bug reporting. For future reference, my build script goes
like so...

#!/bin/bash
# hg clone http://hg.dillo.org/dillo dillo3
cd /home/waltdnes/dillo/dillo3
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables"
CXXFLAGS=${CFLAGS}
make clean
git pull
./autogen.sh
./configure \
--prefix=/home/waltdnes/.local \
--enable-ssl \
--disable-ipv6 \
--enable-cookies \
--enable-png \
--enable-jpg \
--enable-gif \
--enable-threaded-dns \
--enable-dependency-tracking
make
make install-strip

To accomadate the "--prefix=/home/waltdnes/.local" I've added
"/home/waltdnes/.local/bin" to my PATH.

Jorge Arellano Cid

Jan 22, 2015, 10:45:57 AM1/22/15
to dill...@dillo.org
On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 02:38:34AM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
> [...]
> For future reference, my build script goes like so...
>

> #!/bin/bash
> # hg clone http://hg.dillo.org/dillo dillo3
> cd /home/waltdnes/dillo/dillo3
> CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables"
> CXXFLAGS=${CFLAGS}
> make clean
> git pull
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure \
> --prefix=/home/waltdnes/.local \
> --enable-ssl \
> --disable-ipv6 \
> --enable-cookies \
> --enable-png \
> --enable-jpg \
> --enable-gif \
> --enable-threaded-dns \
> --enable-dependency-tracking
> make
> make install-strip
>
> To accomadate the "--prefix=/home/waltdnes/.local" I've added
> "/home/waltdnes/.local/bin" to my PATH.

AFAICS:

git pull

should be: