[Dillo-dev] Underscores not drawn in pre with background color

Alexander Voigt

Jul 21, 2016, 5:54:11 PM7/21/16
to Dillo Mailinglist
Hi Dillo developers,

I stumbled upon a page with a lot of code snippets wrapped in a <pre>
block, where Dillo seems to have a rendering problem: Underscores `_'
are not drawn. I stripped down this real-world-example to the
attached minimal html file which reproduces the problem:

The page should render as follows:

softpoint_with_block() {
{ echo ""; } | ./softpoint.x leshouches
}

However, in the development version of Dillo it renders as follows:

softpoint with block() {
{ echo ""; } | ./softpoint.x leshouches
}

As you can see, the underscores in the function softpoint_with_block()
are not drawn in Dillo.

However, the underscores are drawn correcty if you

* remove the style="..." specification from the <pre> block or

* remove the line

{ echo ""; } | ./softpoint.x leshouches

from the <pre> block content.

Best regards,
Alex
underscore.html

Jorge Arellano Cid

Jul 21, 2016, 8:26:35 PM7/21/16
to dill...@dillo.org
Hi Alexander,

The attached example renders OK here.
Maybe someone else can reproduce it.

--
Cheers
Jorge.-

Alexander Voigt

Jul 22, 2016, 4:19:51 AM7/22/16
to Dillo Mailinglist
Hi Jorge,

then maybe it is an FLTK issue? I'm using

Debian Jessie GNU/Linux 4.6.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
FLTK 1.3.1

Best regards,
Alex

John Found

Jul 22, 2016, 11:21:31 AM7/22/16
to dill...@dillo.org
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 10:17:38 +0200
Alexander Voigt <Hole.de...@gmx.de> wrote:

> then maybe it is an FLTK issue? I'm using
>
> Debian Jessie GNU/Linux 4.6.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
> FLTK 1.3.1
>
> Best regards,
> Alex

IMHO, this is somehow related to the default fonts set in dillorc or
the global set system fonts.

--
http://fresh.flatassembler.net
http://asm32.info

Jorge Arellano Cid

Jul 22, 2016, 11:46:27 AM7/22/16
to dill...@dillo.org
On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 06:19:21PM +0300, John Found wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 10:17:38 +0200
> Alexander Voigt <Hole.de...@gmx.de> wrote:
>

> > then maybe it is an FLTK issue? I'm using
> >
> > Debian Jessie GNU/Linux 4.6.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
> > FLTK 1.3.1
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Alex
> >

> IMHO, this is somehow related to the default fonts set in dillorc or
> the global set system fonts.

+1

A wild shot, but a cheap one, so I'd also try that first. Change your
default font to something else and see what happens.

Also check FLTK's test programs (IIRC there's a symbols one, and another
that's useful to try fonts).

If FLTK also has problems check the video driver (older kernel,
older/different video driver, GRUB CLI parameter).

Alexander Voigt

Jul 22, 2016, 12:00:58 PM7/22/16
to Dillo Mailinglist
> > IMHO, this is somehow related to the default fonts set in dillorc or
> > the global set system fonts.
>
> +1
>
> A wild shot, but a cheap one, so I'd also try that first. Change your
> default font to something else and see what happens.
>
> Also check FLTK's test programs (IIRC there's a symbols one, and another
> that's useful to try fonts).
>
> If FLTK also has problems check the video driver (older kernel,
> older/different video driver, GRUB CLI parameter).

I have not set any specific font in dillorc, so the default setting is
used. However, when I change the monospace font to

font_monospace="Monospace"

then the rendering problem disappears and the underscores are
correctly displayed. When I change to

font_monospace="DejaVu Sans Mono"

the rendering problem is present, i.e. the underscores are not
displayed.

Best regards,
Alex

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 11:43:14AM -0400, Jorge Arellano Cid wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 06:19:21PM +0300, John Found wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 10:17:38 +0200
> > Alexander Voigt <Hole.de...@gmx.de> wrote:
> >

> > > then maybe it is an FLTK issue? I'm using
> > >
> > > Debian Jessie GNU/Linux 4.6.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
> > > FLTK 1.3.1
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Alex
> > >

> > IMHO, this is somehow related to the default fonts set in dillorc or
> > the global set system fonts.
>
> +1
>
> A wild shot, but a cheap one, so I'd also try that first. Change your
> default font to something else and see what happens.
>
> Also check FLTK's test programs (IIRC there's a symbols one, and another
> that's useful to try fonts).
>
> If FLTK also has problems check the video driver (older kernel,
> older/different video driver, GRUB CLI parameter).

John Found

Jul 22, 2016, 1:15:15 PM7/22/16
to dill...@dillo.org
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 17:58:44 +0200
Alexander Voigt <Hole.de...@gmx.de> wrote:

> I have not set any specific font in dillorc, so the default setting is
> used. However, when I change the monospace font to
>
> font_monospace="Monospace"
>
> then the rendering problem disappears and the underscores are
> correctly displayed. When I change to
>
> font_monospace="DejaVu Sans Mono"
>
> the rendering problem is present, i.e. the underscores are not
> displayed.
>
> Best regards,
> Alex

Confirmed. I am using "Liberation Mono", but with "DejaVu Sans Mono" have the same problem.
It is probably because of the characters height - the next row of text overwrites the previous. The question is whether this is because of Dillo or because of FLTK.

The same font, used in Firefox renders correctly.

Nick Warne

Jul 23, 2016, 5:04:10 AM7/23/16
to dill...@dillo.org
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 20:12:59 +0300
John Found <john...@asm32.info> wrote:

> Confirmed. I am using "Liberation Mono", but with "DejaVu Sans Mono"
> have the same problem. It is probably because of the characters
> height - the next row of text overwrites the previous. The question
> is whether this is because of Dillo or because of FLTK.
>
> The same font, used in Firefox renders correctly.

This looks like a bug in the font:

http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/Bugs/Archived

(you need to scroll down a bit).

I have version 2.34 installed - will see if I can reproduce it later.

Nick
--
Gosh that takes me back... or is it forward? That's the trouble with
time travel, you never can tell."

Nick Warne

Jul 23, 2016, 6:15:36 AM7/23/16
to dill...@dillo.org
On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 10:01:59 +0100
Nick Warne <ni...@linicks.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 20:12:59 +0300
> John Found <john...@asm32.info> wrote:
>

> > Confirmed. I am using "Liberation Mono", but with "DejaVu Sans Mono"
> > have the same problem. It is probably because of the characters
> > height - the next row of text overwrites the previous. The question
> > is whether this is because of Dillo or because of FLTK.
> >
> > The same font, used in Firefox renders correctly.
>
> This looks like a bug in the font:
>
> http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/Bugs/Archived
>
> (you need to scroll down a bit).
>
> I have version 2.34 installed - will see if I can reproduce it later.

OK, I get the same issue. But if you change the font size, thus:

<pre style="background-color: white;
font-size:105%;">softpoint_with_block() {

the underscores are visible.

Nick Warne

Jul 23, 2016, 6:27:27 AM7/23/16
to dill...@dillo.org
On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 11:13:19 +0100
Nick Warne <ni...@linicks.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 10:01:59 +0100
> Nick Warne <ni...@linicks.net> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 20:12:59 +0300
> > John Found <john...@asm32.info> wrote:
> >

> > > Confirmed. I am using "Liberation Mono", but with "DejaVu Sans
> > > Mono" have the same problem. It is probably because of the
> > > characters height - the next row of text overwrites the previous.
> > > The question is whether this is because of Dillo or because of
> > > FLTK.
> > >
> > > The same font, used in Firefox renders correctly.
> >
> > This looks like a bug in the font:
> >
> > http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/Bugs/Archived
> >
> > (you need to scroll down a bit).
> >
> > I have version 2.34 installed - will see if I can reproduce it
> > later.
>
> OK, I get the same issue. But if you change the font size, thus:
>
> <pre style="background-color: white;
> font-size:105%;">softpoint_with_block() {
>
> the underscores are visible.

Huh! Strangely the underscores become visible with font size set to
95% too! Only 100% renders them invisible?

Nick Warne

Jul 23, 2016, 6:38:39 AM7/23/16
to dill...@dillo.org
On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 11:25:18 +0100
Nick Warne <ni...@linicks.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 11:13:19 +0100
> Nick Warne <ni...@linicks.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 10:01:59 +0100
> > Nick Warne <ni...@linicks.net> wrote:

> > > This looks like a bug in the font:
> > >
> > > http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/Bugs/Archived
> > >
> > > (you need to scroll down a bit).
> > >
> > > I have version 2.34 installed - will see if I can reproduce it
> > > later.
> >
> > OK, I get the same issue. But if you change the font size, thus:
> >
> > <pre style="background-color: white;
> > font-size:105%;">softpoint_with_block() {
> >
> > the underscores are visible.
>
> Huh! Strangely the underscores become visible with font size set to
> 95% too! Only 100% renders them invisible?

OK, turning off 'use embedded CSS' makes them visible too.

CSS parsing error?

Jorge Arellano Cid

Aug 16, 2016, 10:41:13 PM8/16/16
to dill...@dillo.org
On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 05:58:44PM +0200, Alexander Voigt wrote:
> > > IMHO, this is somehow related to the default fonts set in dillorc or
> > > the global set system fonts.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > A wild shot, but a cheap one, so I'd also try that first. Change your
> > default font to something else and see what happens.
> >
> > Also check FLTK's test programs (IIRC there's a symbols one, and another
> > that's useful to try fonts).
> >
> > If FLTK also has problems check the video driver (older kernel,
> > older/different video driver, GRUB CLI parameter).
>
> I have not set any specific font in dillorc, so the default setting is
> used. However, when I change the monospace font to
>
> font_monospace="Monospace"
>
> then the rendering problem disappears and the underscores are
> correctly displayed. When I change to
>
> font_monospace="DejaVu Sans Mono"
>
> the rendering problem is present, i.e. the underscores are not
> displayed.

I've tried all of them here and they work.

Devuan Jessie, amd64, Linux 4.5.0-2-amd64 (fltk-1.3.1).
------

Is that the only symbol that disappears?
Try a line like: !"#$%&/()=?¡-_{}^[]~.,;:|°
and check whether those are displayed.

--
Cheers
Jorge.-

Alexander Voigt

Aug 17, 2016, 3:09:48 AM8/17/16
to Dillo Mailinglist
Hi Jorge,

> Is that the only symbol that disappears?
> Try a line like: !"#$%&/()=?¡-_{}^[]~.,;:|°
> and check whether those are displayed.

When I open the attached page with dillo, only the underscore
disappears. All other characters are visible.

Best regards,
Alex
underscore.html

Jorge Arellano Cid

Aug 17, 2016, 1:16:55 PM8/17/16
to dill...@dillo.org
On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 09:07:39AM +0200, Alexander Voigt wrote:
> Hi Jorge,
>
> > Is that the only symbol that disappears?
> > Try a line like: !"#$%&/()=?¡-_{}^[]~.,;:|°
> > and check whether those are displayed.
>
> When I open the attached page with dillo, only the underscore
> disappears. All other characters are visible.

Maybe, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=125749

Nick Warne

Aug 17, 2016, 1:40:25 PM8/17/16
to dill...@dillo.org
On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 14:09:32 -0300
Jorge Arellano Cid <jc...@dillo.org> wrote:

> > > Is that the only symbol that disappears?
> > > Try a line like: !"#$%&/()=?¡-_{}^[]~.,;:|°
> > > and check whether those are displayed.
> >
> > When I open the attached page with dillo, only the underscore
> > disappears. All other characters are visible.
>
> Maybe, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=125749

OK, I just messed around with that, and all works fine in the console.

I have attached a slightly different version of the test case, with a
few lower case g's stuck in there.

The tails of the g's show fine in Dillo, but if you then view the
source, the underscore appears maybe 1 or 2 pixels lower than the
bottom of the tails - looks like it goes outside the character bounding
box when rendered in HTML?
underscore.html