pfs files

Jen Weintraub

Jul 8, 2016, 2:45:52 PM7/8/16
to Digital Curation
Hello:

We recently imaged some 5.25 inch disks and were able to extract data from them.  We now have a collection of PFS files.  They have a lot of strange characters even in QuickView.   We can just open these in word processors and edit and save as PDFs, but it would probably be better if we could open them a bit more cleanly or have an idea how to open them without the strange characters:  I feel like we are missing some data.  If anyone has any experience with these kinds of files, can you let me know (offline is fine).

Thanks!

Jen

Seth Shaw

Jul 8, 2016, 3:06:44 PM7/8/16
to digital-...@googlegroups.com
It seems likely (without seeing an example) that the author was using an extended ASCII version (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_ASCII) to support a particular set of diacritics. It would take some educated guessing based on where the characters appear (to figure out what the character was supposed to be) and matching the actual byte values to see if you can find the right extension. It will take some sleuthing. Another option is to use a word processor and simply work your way through the available encodings until something looks right.

Dorothea Salo

Jul 8, 2016, 3:29:26 PM7/8/16
to digital-...@googlegroups.com
The Internet Archive has an emulator for the Apple version of pfs:Write
https://archive.org/details/apple_2_pfs_write though I don't know
offhand whether it is possible to get the said emulator to take notice
of a disk image. Anybody else know?

Dorothea

John Durno

Jul 8, 2016, 3:36:38 PM7/8/16
to digital-...@googlegroups.com
One option might be to acquire a copy of PFS:write from, say, winworldpc https://winworldpc.com/library/applications/page-19 (depending on how you feel about abandonware) and run it it something like DOSbox megabuild 6 and print to PDF from there ...

John

Sent from my telephone