Hosted Digital Repository

Tom Fitzmaurice

Oct 17, 2016, 11:04:19 AM10/17/16
to Digital Curation

Hello Digital Curation Listserv,

Our college is looking for another possible platform for our digital repository that would be hosted. We have yearbooks, student newspapers, area commission meeting minutes, etc. We have JPEGs and PDFs. The total objects that we have online is 923 and we’re using 8.632 GB. That comes up to be about 9.58 MBs per item. We have 806 PDFs, 97 JP2s, and 20 Compound Objects (PDFs) online. We’ll probably want to put more objects online. Could you give us some advice on different types of hosted digital repository platforms that are out there? We are price-sensitive and are interested in something that will be fairly user-friendly for the public in showing off our collections.  Here’s a link to our Digital Archives.

Thank you for your time.

Tom Fitzmaurice

Reference/Bibliographic Instruction Librarian

Trident Technical College

Hannah Frost

Oct 17, 2016, 12:05:21 PM10/17/16
to digital-...@googlegroups.com, Hannah Frost
Dear Tom,

You should consider one of the new hosted repository solutions now under development in the Hydra-in-a-Box project. Based on the information you provide about your collections, it should meet your requirements. We plan to run some pilots in 2017 and are rolling out a hosted service shortly thereafter. Feel free to contact hybox-...@googlegroups.com or write me directly for more information.

Best regards,

Hannah Frost
Product Manager, Hydra-in-a-Box
Stanford University Libraries

Mark Sullivan

Oct 17, 2016, 4:08:11 PM10/17/16
to Digital Curation
Tom,

Have you looked at the open-source SobekCM solution?  We host the solution on our cloud and have recently done migrations from ContentDM.  I think the system can really highlight your existing resources and handle future resources easily as well.

Our solution is standards-compliant and has been supporting collaborative digital libraries for over ten years.  The largest instance hosts over 12 million pages of material and handles over 8 million hits a year, so it is definitely scales well.  And it is ready right now.

Here are a couple links regarding this project:

Cheers and good luck!

Mark

Mark V. Sullivan
Application Architect
Sobek Digital Hosting and Consulting, LLC
866-981-5016 (office)

Marcus Emmanuel Barnes

Oct 21, 2016, 5:06:20 PM10/21/16
to Digital Curation
Dear Tom:

Among the other options already mentioned, you should consider Islandora ( http://islandora.ca/ ).  Below are three organizations that provide hosted solutions (in no particular order):

The Cherry Hill Company https://chillco.com/librarydams
Discovery Garden, Inc.  http://www.discoverygarden.ca/services/
LYRASIS https://www.lyrasis.org/LYRASIS%20Digital/Pages/Repository.aspx

I help maintain an open source tool that that "converts source content files and accompanying metadata into ingest packages used by existing Islandora batch ingest" and "prepares content for importing into Islandora":

https://github.com/MarcusBarnes/mik

Though MIK is geared towards Islandora, you may be able to use it for other target frameworks as well.

Wishing you success with your project,

Yours truly,

Marcus