Guidance for nonprofit organizations

Anu Kasarabada

Jun 8, 2016, 5:21:37 PM6/8/16
to Digital Curation

Dear Archivists –

Do any of you know of electronic archiving guidance directed toward nonprofit organizations? I'm thinking of guidance for potential donors, who don't expect to donate any time soon but want to begin following best practices internally as best they can.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of this 2006 booklet by Sandra Florand Young, Douglas Bicknese and Julia Hendry, but for electronic records. If that's too ambitious, I'd be interested in any simple workflows or basic steps recommended for nonprofits. For now, NDSA Levels 1-2 are about the only thing I've found.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Regards,

Anu Kasarabada

Karl-Rainer Blumenthal

Jun 8, 2016, 6:10:04 PM6/8/16
to digital-...@googlegroups.com

Hi, Anu.

While not focused solely on non-profits, per se, I think that the 2013 CLIR publication, Born Digital: Guidance for Donors, Dealers, and Archival Repositories, might be a good place to start -- it walks through the likely stages a donor and organization will go through when the time comes, and without getting so detailed as to scare them off before they start :-)

http://web.archive.org/web/20160114143030/http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub159/pub159.pdf

Hope it's helpful!

Karl

Anu Kasarabada