New Post on bloggERS!: Faith Charlton on "Philly Born Digital Access Bootcamp"

Ariadne Rehbein

Dec 5, 2017, 4:26:06 PM12/5/17
to e...@forums.archivists.org, arch...@forums.archivists.org, meta...@forums.archivists.org, digital-...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

On behalf of the SAA Electronic Records Section blog editorial team, I’d like to invite you to check out the latest post on bloggERS!:

"Philly Born Digital Access Bootcamp" by Faith Charlton
https://saaers.wordpress.com/2017/12/05/philly-born-digital-access-bootcamp/

Webb, Nicholas

Dec 6, 2017, 11:08:16 AM12/6/17
to digital-...@googlegroups.com

One point in particular that Alison and Greg emphasized that stood out to me is how the discovery of born-digital content is often almost as difficult as the delivery of that content. This was exemplified during the user testing portion of the bootcamp where attendees had the opportunity to interact with several discovery platforms that describe and/or provide access to digital records. The testing demonstrated that the barriers that remain in terms of locating and accessing digital content are still fairly significant.

I see in the blog post that Princeton has its own User Experience working group, but are there any profession-wide discussion or working groups specifically addressing these issues? The difficulty of discovery for end users is something I’ve often struggled with at my own institution, where we’re running an off-the-shelf digital repository and have no resources to devote to software development or user studies. I’d be interested in being part of a wider discussion of this problem.

Nicholas Webb

Digital Archivist

The Arthur H. Aufses, Jr. MD Archives

Academic & Research Informatics