WiebeTech USB write blocker

e.so...@utoronto.ca

Oct 12, 2016, 5:04:59 PM10/12/16
to Digital Curation
Hi,

I'm looking into purchasing a portable write blocker for my institution.
Does anyone have any positive or negative comments about the WiebeTech USB write blocker, as seen here?

Thanks in advance,
Emily

Emily Sommers

Digital Records Archivist

University of Toronto Archives

& Records Management Services

416.978.6486 | www.library.utoronto.ca/utarms

Sarah Barsness

Oct 13, 2016, 8:45:34 AM10/13/16
to digital-...@googlegroups.com
I've tried the WiebeTech, and one major limitation I found is that one listed right in the product description, but one that I kind of glossed over when I was doing research: it will only work on external hard drives "if the device class is USB Mass Storage Device and it does not use proprietary firmware." So if you have a USB device that doesn't identify as a USB Mass Storage Device -- a zip drive, an SD card reader, a floppy disc drive, etc. -- it won't work with the WiebeTech.  I was even having trouble with a really old thumb drive because of how it identified itself.  It might not matter so much in your instance, but was a major drawback for us; we ended up returning it and going with a Tableau writeblocker.

Hope that helps,
Sarah

Sarah Barsness
-----