PII scanning tools

Tracy P.

Aug 1, 2017, 5:31:13 PM8/1/17
to Digital Curation
Hi All,

Our institution had previously been using Identity Finder to scan for PII. However, the program, now known as Spirion, is no longer available as a desktop version. I'm reviewing other PII scanning options including Bulk_Extractor. Does anyone have suggestions for other tools? My personal criteria is:

1.) The tool should identify groups of numbers with varying formats. E.g. ssn: 333-333-3333 or 3333333333, or Social: 333-333-3333, etc.
2.) The tool outputs some sort of relatively easily readable and/or actionable report
3.) The tool scans not only on disk images but individual files.

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Tracy Popp
Digital Preservation Coordinator
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

Elizabeth Hull

Aug 2, 2017, 2:04:56 PM8/2/17
to Digital Curation
Haven't used it, but I recently heard of J-PAL:

---
Elizabeth Hull
Dryad Digital Repository