Question with use in HyperSQL

Jared

Jan 7, 2011, 4:16:13 PM1/7/11
to diffkit-user
I'm looking to access a HyperSQL database over a network using this
format:

jdbc:hsqldb:hsql://<host>:<port>/<db_name>

All of my previous attempts have not allowed me to connect and I
believe the way the string is generated in the source won't allow for
it.

In DKDBConnectionInfo.java:
private String getHyperSQLUrl() {
return String.format("jdbc:hsqldb:%s;get_column_name=false",
_database);
}

Is access in the above way possible?

Thanks

joe

Jan 8, 2011, 12:33:30 AM1/8/11
to diffkit-user
Jared,

You are absolutely right-- DKDBConnectionInfo does not know how to
generate jdbc URLs for HyperSQL DB in Server mode. It currently only
works for "file" and "mem" mode DBs.

That was an oversight on my part. The regression suite tests HyperSQL
using mem mode, and I forgot to test for Server mode.

This is a very simple fix-- I'll have it in the next release.

thanks,

Joe

Jared

Jan 11, 2011, 1:54:15 PM1/11/11
to diffkit-user
Thank you for the quick response and release of the updated version.

Although, I'm still running into some trouble connecting to my
HyperSQL database. Loosely following the tips you outlined in another
discussion ("I need help to test ORACLE and SQL SERVER 2005",
http://groups.google.com/group/diffkit-user/msg/651d8d8038dd00d0), I
can confirm that my database info as well as the generated jdbc URL
seen in the debug information is correct. After the first debug
statement, it continues with the following stack trace:

DEBUG[13:25:07.339]{main}(DKDatabase.canConnect:180)-null
java.sql.SQLTransientConnectionException: connection exception:
connection failure: java.io.EOFException
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.Util.sqlException(Unknown Source) [diffkit-
app.jar:na]
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.Util.sqlException(Unknown Source) [diffkit-
app.jar:na]
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
[diffkit-app.jar:na]
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCDriver.getConnection(Unknown Source)
[diffkit-app.jar:na]
at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCDriver.connect(Unknown Source) [diffkit-
app.jar:na]
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:
582) [na:1.6.0_22]
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:
154) [na:1.6.0_22]
at org.diffkit.db.DKDatabase.getConnection(DKDatabase.java:77)
[diffkit-app.jar:na]
at org.diffkit.db.DKDatabase.canConnect(DKDatabase.java:169)
[diffkit-app.jar:na]
[na:1.6.0_22]
at
39) [na:1.6.0_22]
at
25) [na:1.6.0_22]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597) [na:
1.6.0_22]
at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.PojoMetaMethodSite
$PojoCachedMethodSiteNoUnwrapNoCoerce.invoke(PojoMetaMethodSite.java:
229) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.PojoMetaMethodSite.call(PojoMetaMethodSite.java:
52) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCall(CallSiteArray.java:
40) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:
117) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:
121) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.diffkit.diff.testcase.TestCaseRunner.validateFlavor(TestCaseRunner.groovy:
213) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at org.diffkit.diff.testcase.TestCaseRunner.this
$2$validateFlavor(TestCaseRunner.groovy) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at org.diffkit.diff.testcase.TestCaseRunner$this
$2$validateFlavor.callCurrent(Unknown Source) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCallCurrent(CallSiteArray.java:
44) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callCurrent(AbstractCallSite.java:
143) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callCurrent(AbstractCallSite.java:
151) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.diffkit.diff.testcase.TestCaseRunner.setupRunnerRun(TestCaseRunner.groovy:
149) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at org.diffkit.diff.testcase.TestCaseRunner.this
$2$setupRunnerRun(TestCaseRunner.groovy) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at org.diffkit.diff.testcase.TestCaseRunner$this
$2$setupRunnerRun.callCurrent(Unknown Source) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCallCurrent(CallSiteArray.java:
44) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callCurrent(AbstractCallSite.java:
143) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callCurrent(AbstractCallSite.java:
151) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.diffkit.diff.testcase.TestCaseRunner.run(TestCaseRunner.groovy:
114) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
[na:1.6.0_22]
at
39) [na:1.6.0_22]
at
25) [na:1.6.0_22]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597) [na:
1.6.0_22]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedMethod.invoke(CachedMethod.java:
88) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at groovy.lang.MetaMethod.doMethodInvoke(MetaMethod.java:233)
[diffkit-app.jar:na]
at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:
1058) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:
886) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.PogoMetaClassSite.callCurrent(PogoMetaClassSite.java:
66) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCallCurrent(CallSiteArray.java:
44) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callCurrent(AbstractCallSite.java:
143) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callCurrent(AbstractCallSite.java:
151) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at org.diffkit.diff.testcase.TestCaseRunner
$_run_closure1.doCall(TestCaseRunner.groovy:100) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
[na:1.6.0_22]
at
39) [na:1.6.0_22]
at
25) [na:1.6.0_22]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597) [na:
1.6.0_22]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedMethod.invoke(CachedMethod.java:
88) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at groovy.lang.MetaMethod.doMethodInvoke(MetaMethod.java:233)
[diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.metaclass.ClosureMetaClass.invokeMethod(ClosureMetaClass.java:
273) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:
886) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at groovy.lang.Closure.call(Closure.java:276) [diffkit-
app.jar:na]
at groovy.lang.Closure.call(Closure.java:289) [diffkit-
app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.DefaultGroovyMethods.each(DefaultGroovyMethods.java:
1184) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.DefaultGroovyMethods.each(DefaultGroovyMethods.java:
1160) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.dgm$111.invoke(Unknown Source)
[diffkit-app.jar:na]
at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.PojoMetaMethodSite
$PojoMetaMethodSiteNoUnwrapNoCoerce.invoke(PojoMetaMethodSite.java:
270) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.PojoMetaMethodSite.call(PojoMetaMethodSite.java:
52) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCall(CallSiteArray.java:
40) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:
117) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:
125) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.diffkit.diff.testcase.TestCaseRunner.run(TestCaseRunner.groovy:99)
[diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.diffkit.diff.conf.DKTestBridge.runTestCases(DKTestBridge.java:45)
[diffkit-app.jar:na]
at
org.diffkit.diff.conf.DKApplication.runTestCases(DKApplication.java:
205) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at org.diffkit.diff.conf.DKApplication.main(DKApplication.java:
108) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
[na:1.6.0_22]
at
39) [na:1.6.0_22]
at
25) [na:1.6.0_22]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597) [na:
1.6.0_22]
at
com.jdotsoft.jarloader.JarClassLoader.invokeMain(JarClassLoader.java:
520) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
at org.diffkit.diff.conf.DKLauncher.main(DKLauncher.java:26)
[diffkit-app.jar:na]
Caused by: org.hsqldb.HsqlException: connection exception: connection
failure: java.io.EOFException
at org.hsqldb.error.Error.error(Unknown Source) [diffkit-
app.jar:na]
at org.hsqldb.ClientConnection.execute(Unknown Source)
[diffkit-app.jar:na]
at org.hsqldb.ClientConnection.<init>(Unknown Source) [diffkit-
app.jar:na]

Any help in solving this will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jared

joe

Jan 11, 2011, 3:45:00 PM1/11/11
to diffkit-user
Jared,

Do you ever connect to that DB using JDBC in some other tool or
application? Sounds to me like you are a Java developer. Are you able
to connect using Quantum DB or some other JDBC based DB browser?

Joe

On Jan 11, 1:54 pm, Jared <jjsz1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the quick response and release of the updated version.
>
> Although, I'm still running into some trouble connecting to my
> HyperSQL database. Loosely following the tips you outlined in another
> discussion ("I need help to test ORACLE and SQL SERVER 2005",http://groups.google.com/group/diffkit-user/msg/651d8d8038dd00d0), I
> org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.metaclass.ClosureMetaClass.invokeMethod(Closure MetaClass.java:
> 273) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
>         at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:
> 886) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
>         at groovy.lang.Closure.call(Closure.java:276) [diffkit-
> app.jar:na]
>         at groovy.lang.Closure.call(Closure.java:289) [diffkit-
> app.jar:na]
>         at
> org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.DefaultGroovyMethods.each(DefaultGroovyMethods. java:
> 1184) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
>         at
> org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.DefaultGroovyMethods.each(DefaultGroovyMethods. java:
>
> read more »

Jared

Jan 11, 2011, 4:06:53 PM1/11/11
to diffkit-user
Yes. Using DbVisualizer I have no problems connecting to that database
using the same JDBC URL generated in the program.

Jared

> read more »

joe

Jan 11, 2011, 5:02:00 PM1/11/11
to diffkit-user
Jared,

Which version of HyperSQL Server are you running?

> [...]

>         at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.dgm$111.invoke(Unknown Source)
> [diffkit-app.jar:na]
>         at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.PojoMetaMethodSite
> $PojoMetaMethodSiteNoUnwrapNoCoerce.invoke(PojoMetaMethodSite.java:
> 270) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
>         at
> org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.PojoMetaMethodSite.call(PojoMetaMethod Site.java:
> 52) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
>         at
> org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCall(CallSiteArra y.java:
> 40) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
>         at
> org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite .java:
> 117) [diffkit-app.jar:na]
>         at
> org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite .java:

Jared

Jan 12, 2011, 9:23:25 AM1/12/11
to diffkit-user
Joe,

It is version 2.0.0 of HyperSQL.

Jared

> read more »

joe

Jan 12, 2011, 12:56:45 PM1/12/11
to diffkit-user
Jared,

I stumbled upon this post on HyperSQL support:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hsqldb/forums/forum/73674/topic/3950912

Can you check the HSQLDB console for error messages when you receive
the EOF Exception in DiffKit? There should be more info there...

Joe

> read more »

Jared

Jan 12, 2011, 2:53:27 PM1/12/11
to diffkit-user
Joe,

Excellent find. I am seeing a similar error message in the HSQLDB
console, although reversed than as shown in the reference link:

org.hsqldb.HsqlException: Client version '2.0.0.0' incompatible.
HSQLDB Network-Compatibility-Version '1.9.0.0' required.

I can confirm my HyperSQL server is using the hsqldb.jar file from the
June 2.0.0 release. Upon replacing that .jar with the hsqldb.jar used
in DiffKit, DiffKit is allowed to connect and all test cases pass. Is
DiffKit using a more recent hsqldb.jar file than what is available?

Thanks for your help,

Jared

> read more »

joe

Jan 12, 2011, 3:36:44 PM1/12/11
to diffkit-user
Jared,

The jar embedded in DiffKit is 2.0.1-rc2 (2010-11-01).

If you wouldn't mind, could you please ask the folks on the HSQLDB
support list:

1. Why are we seeing this issue?
2. What does "Network-Compatibility-Version" mean, and what are the
rules for client<->server compatibility?
3. What is the preferred technique for maintaining backwards
compatibility? If DiffKit wants backward compatibility with any
version of HSQLDB server, does DiffKit have to provide the user an
ability to bring his own JDBC driver?

thanks,

Joe

> read more »

Jared

Jan 12, 2011, 5:11:03 PM1/12/11
to diffkit-user
Joe,

Here is the post on the HyperSQL SourceForge forums:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hsqldb/forums/forum/73674/topic/4050840

Hopefully a resolution can be found to allow connections with older
versions of HyperSQL, since as it stands right now I won't be able to
connect properly with my database.

Jared

> read more »

joe

Jan 12, 2011, 5:35:12 PM1/12/11
to diffkit-user
Jared,

Thanks very much for helping out. If there is no solution from the
HSQLDB side I"ll implement a solution on the DiffKit side. Eventually,
I have to introduce into DiffKit a "dropin" mechanism, where users can
add their own jars. DiffKit needs this in order to support user
written custom Sources/Sinks/Diffors. We can use this dropin mechanism
to allow users to add in their own JDBC drivers. Any jar in the dropin
directory would take precedence over a jar embedded in DiffKit. If
this is needed in order to get DiffKit to work properly with HSQLDB
servers, I"ll implement dropins sooner rather than later.

cheers,

Joe

> read more »

Jared

Jan 13, 2011, 2:09:14 PM1/13/11
to diffkit-user
Joe,

No problem. Judging from the only post on there so far, it seems that
both HSQLDB versions must be the same for the client to properly
connect to the server. I look forward to seeing your implementation of
the dropin mechanism when it is finished.

Jared

> read more »

joe

Jan 13, 2011, 9:14:49 PM1/13/11