DicomBrowser 1.7.0 beta 1

Kevin Archie

Jul 18, 2012, 12:46:16 AM7/18/12
to DicomBrowser users
I'm uploading a new build of DicomBrowser:

Mac OS X app bundle: ftp://ftp.nrg.wustl.edu/pub/DicomBrowser/DicomBrowser-1.7.0b1.dmg
Linux/all-OS CLI tarball: ftp://ftp.nrg.wustl.edu/pub/DicomBrowser/DicomBrowser-1.7.0b1.tgz

No Windows installer yet. Windows is more complicated. Sorry. I have,
I think, fixed the .bat files so that one should be able to run
the .tgz build on Windows, but (1) I haven't actually tested this
(will try it in the morning) and (2) nobody has asked me to fix
the .bat files in the whole time they've been broken (probably a
couple of years).

Why a new build?

1.6.0 (which I didn't really make public) included the hashUID
function that I showed at the XNAT workshop (but haven't documented
yet).

1.7.0 includes a new function (via DicomEdit 2.3.0):

spreadsheet[filepath, key-value [, key-column-index [, value-column-

loads the Excel spreadsheet (.xlsx) at the provided path, looks up the
key value in the key column (default 0), and returns the corresponding
value in the value column (default 1).

DIcomBrowser 1.7.0 includes the first hints of SQ VR support:
sequences are no longer entirely invisible in the GUI. Each top-level
sequence now appears as an attribute row, with "{sequence}" in the
value column. The value is not editable (and you can't inspect the
sequence contents or see nested sequences) but SQ elements can be
deleted, either in the GUI or from a script.

1.7.0 also includes a new batch save operation: to copy (and
optionally apply a DicomEdit script) more files than you'd care to
load into the GUI, go to the Save operation in the File menu and set
the which-files selector (bottom left of the Save dialog) to "Copy
files from disk". When you click Save, you'll be prompted for a source
directory and a DicomEdit script. (You can cancel the DicomEdit script
load to not use a script; I'll probably want to clean that up a
little.) DicomBrowser will then walk the source directory, copying all
DICOM files that it finds, applying a script if you selected one, and
saving the result in whatever arrangement you specified in the Save
dialog.

I've also cleaned up a few small UI weirdnesses, notably on and around
the Save dialog, and around Keep operations in the values panel.

Please download it, take it for a spin, and let me know how you manage
to break it. Please don't use it for anything critical and
irreversible -- I was playing around in some very dusty corners of the
code to get the limited SQ support, and while I don't know of any
bugs, my imagination is sadly limited.

- Kevin

David Gutman

Jul 18, 2012, 7:28:18 AM7/18/12
to dicombrow...@googlegroups.com
Kevin sounds great!

Thanks..... so it sounds like the "EXCEL" function could in theory
work as a partial anonymizer? Or I guess if we had the proper EXCEL
template, a complete anonymyzer (i.e. just create blank key pairings
for all public or private tags we wanted to remove during upload.....)
--
David A Gutman, M.D. Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Informatics

Archie, Kevin

Jul 18, 2012, 8:24:23 AM7/18/12
to <dicombrowser-users@googlegroups.com>
Hi, David,

This is a new function in the DicomEdit language. The specific case that got me to implement it was starting from a spreadsheet containing subject names and pseudonymous IDs, one subject per row. Most of the anonymization is specified in DicomEdit, but the name replacement can be pulled from a spreadsheet.

- k

The material in this message is private and may contain Protected Healthcare Information (PHI). If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender via telephone or return mail.