[Feature Discussion] Pod User Migration

Sean Tilley

Feb 21, 2012, 4:26:50 PM2/21/12
to diaspora...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I wanted to help harbor a discussion on one of the hot issues with Diaspora, which is the ability for users to migrate to different pods seamlessly. It seems there have been a lot of little discussions and ideas about implementation here and there, but I want to take this directly to the discuss mailing list and bring it to the forefront for everyone to weigh in. There are a lot of ideas about how we can do this, and we want to find the best way to put this together in the future. Specifically, we want to have a system that is:

-Simple (to use)
-Secure
-Reliable

So the question is, how can this issue be approached in the best way possible? We want to hear your ideas here. :)
With the growing amount of forks in progress, I think a conversation is absolutely necessary for the sake of maintaining some semblance of compatibility.

For some references, here's a few helpful places that some existing conversations on it have taken place. It may give some helpful food for thought:

<3
-Sean

elf Pavlik

Feb 22, 2012, 8:38:24 AM2/22/12
to Sean Tilley, diaspora-discuss
Hi Sean,

Great to see that you bring up this topic!

As I proposed before, I would really like to 'decouple' diaspora and webfinger. This way I could use webfinger on a domain I controll, and just specify in it (sort of delegate) which pod I host my diaspora account on. This way if we manage relations on the level of webfinger URIs, people can switch their pods like socks and just export/import data and update their webfinger files to reference current pod.

When it comes to 'moved to' new webfinger address, I see it as not diaspora specific and already started discussion on webfinger mailing list. Thread got bit mixed with other one buy my last suggestion you can find here:
https://groups.google.com/group/webfinger/msg/81e2b009e55bc724

Cheers!
=)
~ elf Pavlik ~