Downtime notice for the pod joindiaspora.com

Jason Robinson

Jun 29, 2015, 6:22:42 PM6/29/15
to diaspora...@googlegroups.com, diaspo...@googlegroups.com
Passing on a message from Maxwell.

A notice for users on the pod joindiaspora.com - an upgrade to 0.5 is
coming up and due to the size of the pod and the database migrations
involved, there will be downtime.

Scheduled downtime for the upgrade has been set to between **Thursday
2nd July 5am to 5pm UTC**.

Hoping for a smooth upgrade.

--
-----
Br,

Maxwell Salzberg

Jun 29, 2015, 6:47:31 PM6/29/15
to diaspo...@googlegroups.com, diaspora...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jason for pushing this out, and the help in getting everything sorted.

I'm hoping for less than 12 hours of downtime.  I've done the upgrade successfully a couple of times in a staging environment.  It was tough because if I didnt upgrade mysql, the migrations basically never finished, and in order to do that, I had to do an OS upgrade :/

In case anyone was curious, to get it down to take ~8 hours, I need to

1)  upgrade to Mysql 5.6 (which means 2-3 upgrades from 5.1, where we are now)
2) push slightly adjusted new-joindiaspora branch, which includes updating ruby versions (I will move it from /diaspora to /maxwell after this deploy, but good job, needed very little customizations!)
3) run the migrations (4-6 hours)

All in all, this should but JD.com in a better place to make it easier to upgrade in one swoop.  If there was one thing I learnt, I would not recommend updating your OS, DB, Ruby Version, Rails Version, Diaspora Version, trim indexes, and change collation in a single update! :)

<3,

maxwell

4) restart

Maxwell Salzberg

Jul 2, 2015, 1:08:58 AM7/2/15
to diaspo...@googlegroups.com, diaspora...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Looks like we need to delay the update.  Of course, after picking this window ~a week ago, it looks like rubygems.org is undergoing some maintence, and now redirecting to railsassets.org, and it looks like the whole gem database has not propogated.

I will give it a shot again tomorrow night.

Sorry for the let down :( I was excited to get this out and its frustrating to have to wait more!

- maxwell

Maxwell Salzberg

Jul 2, 2015, 1:21:55 AM7/2/15
to diaspo...@googlegroups.com, diaspora...@googlegroups.com
Tried one more time, looks like we are in business.

see you on the other side!

Maxwell Salzberg

Jul 2, 2015, 10:53:54 AM7/2/15
to diaspo...@googlegroups.com, diaspora...@googlegroups.com
Should be back up and on 0.5.1.2, too!

Thanks everyone for the awesome guides, help and patience!

- maxwell