Improve Diaspora Oembed integration

Saul Henriques

Apr 17, 2012, 7:26:10 PM4/17/12
to diaspora...@googlegroups.com
Diaspora oembed integration is very poor in my opinion, let's improve it ?

what's my idea:

1- when a user paste the youtube or vimeo link in the share box, generate a thumbnail and get the original video title
2- when a user share show the thumbnail, video title, and user status, immediately no need to refresh the page like happen right now

what do you think ?

Sean Tilley

Apr 17, 2012, 8:34:25 PM4/17/12
to diaspora...@googlegroups.com
IANAD, but I'm not sure either of those actually have very much to do with oEmbed in and of itself. Those are more related to some possible AJAX magic to make some elements automatically update.

Saul Henriques

Apr 18, 2012, 12:11:58 PM4/18/12
to diaspora...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, is about that that i'm talking about "ajax magic" simple thing :)

Raven24

Apr 18, 2012, 12:47:35 PM4/18/12

On Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:11:58 PM UTC+2, Saul Henriques wrote:
Yeah, is about that that i'm talking about "ajax magic" simple thing :)

well, even the ajax magic would have to get a server-side endpoint IMHO.

I don't think we should fetch oembed twice (once to show to the user while writing the post and a second time by the server to store in the DB)
and also, we are not allowing just any oembed provider (they need to have https), so in order *not* to keep two lists of allowed providers, we should just let the server do the fetching and let it store in DB as soon as a link gets entered in the publisher (some Javascript magic).
This could then produce a nice JSON response, which we can include in the publisher as preview.

... almost as easy said as done ;)