domain update without recompiling assets

Boris Rybalkin

Apr 6, 2016, 4:24:17 AM4/6/16
to diaspora...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to change domain name after assets generation?

I am packaging diaspora as an app for single board computers app store (syncloud.org) and I do not really know device details until users install it on their device.

The problem is that 'rake assets:precompile' takes really long time to run on a device because of different reasons (sd card, cpu ...) so I would like to run it once for the app store package and only set domain on the user installation phase.

As I know assets, database and config contains domain info.
I could come up with some logic to replace domain in the existing setup, but I would like to know if there is a preferred way of doing this.

Thank you.

Jonne Haß

Apr 6, 2016, 10:30:36 AM4/6/16
to diaspora...@googlegroups.com
I'm not aware of any references to the configured URL/domain inside our assets, where did you get that idea from?

- Jonne

On 06.04.2016 10:24, Boris Rybalkin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to change domain name after
> assets generation?
>
> I am packaging diaspora as an app for single board computers app store
> (syncloud.org <http://syncloud.org>) and I do not really know device
> details until users install it on their device.
>
> The problem is that 'rake assets:precompile' takes really long time to
> run on a device because of different reasons (sd card, cpu ...) so I
> would like to run it once for the app store package and only set domain
> on the user installation phase.
>
> As I know assets, database and config contains domain info.
> I could come up with some logic to replace domain in the existing setup,
> but I would like to know if there is a preferred way of doing this.
>
> Thank you.

Boris Rybalkin

Apr 16, 2016, 5:49:54 AM4/16/16
to diaspora-discuss
You are right, assets have nothing to do with domain info.

Another question on the same topic, is it possible to change http/https or port on existing diaspora pod?

Let's say I will code required config changes, SQL updates.

Currently Syncloud device user can switch http/https mode centrally for all apps running on a device. Also sometimes it is not possible to expose port 80 for public http access on the router and device may end up having http/81 url for example.

Thank you.

Jonne Haß

Apr 16, 2016, 4:51:02 PM4/16/16
to diaspora...@googlegroups.com
Changing a HTTP setup to a HTTPS setup is supported, every other address change, be it domain, non-standard port to standard port, standard port to non-standard port or HTTPS to HTTP, is not.

This is because the software detects and remembers a redirect from HTTP to HTTPS. Detecting a redirect from HTTPS to HTTP has some risk of downgrade attacks. Changing other aspects requires rewriting diaspora IDs, which is not (yet) supported in the protocol or software, mainly do to UX issues.

While you can in theory do it with a script in the local database, you have no way to affect the cached records on other pods, which would be crucial for it to at least work.