Changing server hostname (domain name) problems

Rich Kavanagh

Jan 19, 2014, 7:03:04 AM1/19/14
to diaspora...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone

I've been running a D* pod without issue locally (via via http://10.0.0.110) and I now need to change the hostname / domain name as it's ready for the internet.

To do this, I edited diaspora.yml and changed this:

url: "http://10.0.0.110:80"

To this:

url: "https://my-domain-name.com"

I also ran through the database and replaced any hardcoded http://10.0.0.110 links to profiles, photos, etc so everything was set to use the domain name.

The problem is, if I then register a new test user, their profile 'address' is shown as "test...@10.0.0.110:80" instead of "test...@my-domain-name.com"

To complicate things some more, if I comment out the url value in diaspora.yml completely then when I create a new user their profile is set as "testuser2@localhost:3000" - despite me registering them via the internet (ie. NOT locally).

Why is this happening?

And more importantly, how do I successfully change the hostname / domain name of my pod?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

Jonne Haß

Jan 19, 2014, 8:02:00 AM1/19/14
to diaspora...@googlegroups.com
The clean thing to do is to start over [1]. Commenting out the url
setting lets the default kick in, which is http://localhost:3000 (for
easy development setup). A new user still getting the old URL most
likely means you didn't restart Diaspora after editing the
configuration.

- Jonne

[1]:
https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/blob/develop/config/diaspora.yml.example#L37-38