Photos: tagging contacts, resolution, and comments

itai...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2014, 5:47:33 PM1/28/14
to diaspo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I discovered Diaspora a few months ago. I'm really excited about its openness, non commercial nature and its decentralization. It stands well in contrast to the terribly ad-driven Facebook. However, one very important aspect of it - photos - is lacking in functionality, and from my small research I don't see it is being worked on (maybe I missed it?). I think photos are basically what made Facebook this big, and specifically photos of friends and the ability to tag them. From my limited experience with Diaspora many people upload artistic photos or funny photos but not so much photos of their friends. To make Diaspora truly social, rather than a very nice 'geeky' experiment, I thinks this aspect should be improved in the following ways:

1. Ability to tag other contacts
2. Ability to comment on individual photos, rather than on posts which may contain several photos
3. Higher resolution. Currently photos are resized to 700 pixels wide which is small in this day and age.
4. As for organizing photos, I think hashtags work OK, but adding albums too would be nice.

I want to recommended Diaspora to my friends (and I do) but the above is really missing compared to Facebook and is important for any social network IMHO. If implemented I think Diaspora will grow faster too.