Desktop DIALANG version shut down.

Adrian Fish

Mar 22, 2017, 7:16:26 AM3/22/17
to DIALANG Users
Hi all,

I’ve shut down the legacy Dialang server so we at Lancaster can focus on the web version. Up to date for March the legacy system has done 175 tests whereas the web version has done 9162 so the time has come. The upside of this is that we get more eyes on the web version and I don’t have to maintain the old one - not that it’s needed much looking after over the years.

This means that the desktop version of DIALANG will no longer work. If you are using this you need to migrate to the web version at https://dialangweb.lancaster.ac.uk

Cheers,
Adrian.

Marie Jouannaud

Jul 23, 2018, 4:03:21 AM7/23/18
to DIALANG Users
Hello Adrian
My university (U of Grenoble, France) uses Dialang online and is wondering what your policy for data protection is (do you have access to users' IP addresses, this kind of thing). Is there an official statement anywhere about this?
Thank you
Marie-Pierre

Adrian Fish

Jul 23, 2018, 4:32:57 AM7/23/18
to Marie Jouannaud, DIALANG Users
Hi Marie,

Yes, we do keep test taker's IP addresses, but we only use those for creating visualisations of where people are taking tests from - it looks nice in Google maps, basically. We don't correlate test taking proficiency to geographic areas, or anything creepy like that.  If we did that we may find that British test takers do badly across most of the test languages, and we wouldn't want that kind of exposure :)

We keep test taker's responses to items, but they are anonymised. They are detached from the IP addresses and we don't associate any of the optional questionnaire data with the test responses. The responses are literally just used for research purposes during item response analysis.

We don't have a policy statement online and we should have. Conversations like this are helping to formulate that and it will happen.

Cheers,
Adrian.