Renaming core modules

Brent Yorgey

Sep 24, 2012, 8:13:51 PM9/24/12
to diagrams...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to run this by you all in case anyone has ideas/opinions...

It's always been strange that the modules in diagrams-core are named

Graphics.Rendering.Diagrams.*

whereas everything else is named

Diagrams.*

I don't know why this happened. I think originally I was naming
things G.R.D.* but as the project became bigger it was just becoming
super annoying. Graphics.Rendering.Diagrams.TwoD.Path.Turtle.Aliases,
anyone? =P Anyway, there's precedent for this sort of thing, where a
big project/framework takes an entire top level module namespace
(Yesod, Snap, Manatee)...

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting rid of the inconsistency by removing
"Graphics.Rendering" from the beginning of all modules in
diagrams-core. This will be a bit disruptive since we'll have to hunt
down all such occurrences in imports and documentation and change them
too. But it shouldn't affect too much user code, since usually one
doesn't need to import core modules directly. The only ones it will
affect is people bitten by the V(Point(R2)) bug, who have to import
G.R.D.Points (https://github.com/diagrams/diagrams-core/issues/17).

Thoughts?

-Brent