☸ New Bhikkhunis - Welcome to the Sangha!! ☸

Dhammadharini Sangha

Aug 27, 2017, 6:29:15 PM8/27/17
to Dhammadharini Google Group post
Dear Venerables, dear Dhamma friends,

Amidst all the many things in our world, it is our happiness and great relief to live fully dedicated and committed to whole heart, whole life practice of this way of peace, greater good, easing and relieving of suffering taught by the Blessed One, our beloved teacher, the Buddha.

This month, it has been our joy & treasure to be a part of welcoming two new bhikkhunis into full membership into our North American and international Theravada Bhikkhuni Sangha and Dual Sangha of bhikkhus and bhikkhunis. We offer our warmest heart's congratulations to these two new full members of our Theravada Bhikkhuni Sangha! We also look forward to welcoming two more new bhikkhunis into our Sangha on December 3rd at Dhammadharini Monastery.

☸☸☸

"The purpose of the Holy Life does not consist in acquiring alms, honor, or fame, nor in gaining morality, concentration, or the eye of knowledge. That unshakable deliverance of the heart: that, indeed, is the object of the Holy Life, that is its essence, that is its goal."
- the Buddha, Majjhima Nikaya ("Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha") no. 29 (Ven. Ahimsa's ordination program)

Yesterday, August 26th--coincidentally National Women's Equality Day in USA--Ven Ahimsa Bhikkhuni (formerly Robyn Anne Church) of Aloka Vihara Forest Monastery in the Sierra foothills received dual ordination from a full Sangha of venerable bhikkhus and bhikkhunis at Buddhi Vihara in Santa Clara, with venerable bhikkhuni Ayya Gunasari Theri as her preceptor and venerable bhikkhunis' Ayya Anandabodhi and Ayya Santacitta as her teachers. Bhikkhus and bhikkhunis came from around California and around North America for the ordination: bhikkhunis from Aloka Vihara, Mahapajapati Monastery, Sati Saraniya Hermitage, Dhammadharini, Charlotte Buddhist Vihara, Karuna Buddhist Vihara and Amata Vihara; and bhikkhus from Buddhi Vihara, American Buddhist Seminary Temple, Ventura Buddhist Temple and Sri Ratana International Buddhist Center.

Inline image 7
A radiant Ven Ahimsa carrying a small tray of flowers, candles and incense to offer to her preceptor before her ordination.*

Inline image 1
New Bhikkhuni Ahimsa with teachers Ayya Santacitta and Ayya Anandabodhi ordained by the gathered Bhikkhuni Sangha with preceptor Ven Gunasari Theri (center left) - Buddhi Vihara, Santa Clara 27 Aug 2017.*

Inline image 2
Ven. Ahimsa Bhikkhuni (front center left), fully ordained, accepted and comfirmed by both the Bhikkhu & Bhikkhuni Sanghas after ordination at Buddhi Vihara. Ven Bhikkhu Tekewe Shantarakshita Mahathero (center) served as the Ovadakacariya and Ven Bhikkhu Tapowanaye Sutadhara Mahathero and Ven Bhikkhu Mayakadawa Dhammika Mahathero served as the acariyas together with the confirming bhikkhu sangha.*

"Those who know the essential to be essential
And the inessential as inessential
Reach the essential,
Living in the field of right intention."
- the Buddha, Dhammapada vv 11-12 (Ven. Ahimsa's ordination program)

☸☸☸

Earlier in the month on the August full moon day, the lunar anniversary of the full awakening of ancient great bhikkhuni advocate Ananda Thero, Ven Sucitta Bhikkhuni (formerly known as Bo Hyun Sunim, originally CHO In Sook), reordained into the Theravada Buddhist Dual Sangha at Dhammadharini Monastery in Penngrove with the Bhikkhuni Sangha and venerable bhikkhuni Ayya Tathaloka Mahatheri as preceptor and venerable bhikkhunis Ayya Sobhana and Ayya Suvijjana as acarinis (female teachers). After her ordination with the bhikkhuni sangha, she and her preceptor and teacher received the confirmation and completion of her reordination with the bhikkhu sangha at Buddhi Vihara in Santa Clara, with venerable bhikkhu Kahanda Amarabuddhi Nayaka Thero as Ovadakacariya, venerable bhikkhu Pallewela Rahula Maha thero as senior witnessing bhikkhu from the Sri Lankan Bhikkhu Sangha, venerable bhikkhu Siddhiporn Medhankaro Maha Thero as senior witnessing bhikkhu from the Thai tradition, and the bhikkhu sangha from Sri Lankan and Thai Theravada traditions. Formally, legally changing her communion (saṃvasa), Ven Bhikkhuni Sucitta keeps her 17 years seniority as a bhikkhuni and 22 years in monastic life.

Inline image 3
Ven Bhikkhuni Sucitta reordains into the Theravada tradition with the Bhikkhuni Sangha at Dhammadharini Monastery in Penngrove with Ven Tathaloka Mahatheri as Preceptor, Ven Sobhana Theri as Acarini, Ven Suvijjana Bhikkhuni as Asst. Acarini and Ven Bhikkhunis Anandabodhi and Santacitta from Aloka Vihara completing the bhikkhuni sangha quorum.**

Inline image 4
Ven. Sucitta Bhikkhuni's reordination is confirmed and completed by the Venerable Bhikkhu Sangha members from Sri Lankan and Thai traditions at Buddhi Vihara in Santa Clara. Ven Kahanda Amarabuddhi Nayaka Thero, Ven Siddhiporn Medhankara Maha Thero and Ven Pallewela Rahula Maha Thero (on right), convey her reordination certificate with metta blessings, while her preceptor and acarini offer their "sadhu!" (on left).**

Inline image 6
Reordination day photo of Ven Bhikkhuni Sucitta Theri, now a full member of the Theravada Dual Sangha.**

* photos of the Bhikkhuni Ordination of Ven Ahimsa Bhikkhuni posted by Emily Carpenter courtesy of Aloka Vihara Forest Monastery and Saranaloka Foundation
** photos of the Re-ordination of Ven Sucitta​ Bhikkhuni as a Theravada Bhikkhuni by K.C. O'Flynn courtesy of Dhammadharini Sangha
--

Dhammadharini
 (support foundation)

​Monetary ​
​d​
onations
​ may be posted to the monastery address or made online {info}.
6791 Sturtevant Dr, Penngrove CA
94951, USA
Phone or text: 707.583.9522

--our hermitage--
Mailing Address: PO Box 16, Jenner, CA 95450, USA
Skype phone voicemail or text: 707.340.4282