platform change (Oracle-Dba to Dev-Ops)

venu gopal krishna

Sep 13, 2016, 10:57:10 AM9/13/16
to devops
HI

This is venu working as  Oracle-Dba with 4 years.Iam intrest to learn DEV-OPS. Plz  suggest  to me it is good for me r not.

skill set

Oracle dba
sql
shell-script

O/S

LINUX
IBM-AIX

Matt Joyce

Sep 13, 2016, 2:43:25 PM9/13/16
to dev...@googlegroups.com
I am going to be honest.  I have no fucking clue what you are attempting to say with this.  It's either the WORST recruiting email that I have ever seen.  Or it's something that's basically unintelligible jibberish.

--

---

James Turnbull

Sep 13, 2016, 2:53:04 PM9/13/16
to dev...@googlegroups.com
venu gopal krishna wrote:
> HI
>
> This is venu working as Oracle-Dba with 4 years.Iam intrest to learn
> DEV-OPS. Plz suggest to me it is good for me r not.
>
> _*skill set*_
>
> *Oracle dba*
> *sql*
> *shell-script*
>
> *O/S*
>
> *LINUX*
> *IBM-AIX*

Hi Venu!

I am gathering you're currently an Oracle DBA and are interested in
DevOps! That's cool! I'd recommend doing some reading about DevOps first
- as it is less about tools and technology - and more a way of working.
The Wikipedia page is a good start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DevOps

With regard to skills most folks who work in a DevOps world tend (very
broadly) to have a mix of systems administration and development skills.
On the SysAdmin side learning about things like configuration
management, scripting, and monitoring is useful. Some of the tools
you'll read about include things like Docker or Puppet or Chef. Many
folks also have development skills in a variety of languages - popular
is Go, Ruby, and Python amongst others. I'd recommend learning about
some development basics like Agile, version control tools (like Git) and
about how testing and deployment works.

Hope that helps as a start!

Kind Regards

James Turnbull

--
* The Art of Monitoring (https://artofmonitoring.com)
* The Docker Book (https://dockerbook.com)

James Turnbull

Sep 13, 2016, 2:54:46 PM9/13/16
to dev...@googlegroups.com
Matt Joyce wrote:
> I am going to be honest. I have no fucking clue what you are attempting
> to say with this. It's either the WORST recruiting email that I have
> ever seen. Or it's something that's basically unintelligible jibberish.

Or it's someone who speaks English as a second language, who works in
another field, asking about how to learn more about DevOps... In which
case your response is pretty ... well not DevOps.

Don O'Neill

Sep 13, 2016, 2:57:32 PM9/13/16
to dev...@googlegroups.com
Quite frankly Matt - I don't think you are being at all inclusive to people interested in DevOps, interactions with complete jerks like you would likely turn them off entirely. Way to go!

Thanks,
Don

--

---

Clinton Wolfe

Sep 13, 2016, 2:57:49 PM9/13/16
to dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi Venu,

I think you are seeking career path advice, looking to transition from being an Oracle DBA to some kind of role with DevOps-related skills?  If so, I would suggest that a natural path might be to start with data migration tools.  Application deployment is a common DevOps task, and database migration and schema version management is a great problem area.  Once you're working in that area, you could broaden into general app deployment.  Oddly, ETL also seems to come up a lot in cloud migrations, too.

Nathaniel Eliot

Sep 13, 2016, 3:57:23 PM9/13/16
to dev...@googlegroups.com
I tend to believe DevOps is a pretty universally good thing to learn about. It is not a new tool or process, but rather a philosophy about how one applies your tools and yourself. It can also be difficult to get into by yourself, especially if your company is still focused on more traditional silo models of development.

I would recommend doing some reading first: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DevOps is a fairly good starting place. I would also encourage you to seek out DevOps user groups in your area, both so you can hear about it in practice, and so you can make contacts who may introduce you to  more DevOps-sympathetic companies.

(As an aside, Matt does have a point, though he phrased it quite impolitely. Communication, especially the written form, is one of the most important skills in DevOps. It's also one of the largest barriers I've encountered in working with outsourced developers, which can limit your job prospects. Taking some advanced English courses could help your career quite a bit.)

Cheers,

--
Nathaniel Eliot
T9 Productions