Starting something in Seattle

Alan Stearns

Sep 30, 2013, 1:27:03 PM9/30/13
to devic...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking to start an ODL in Seattle, but I don't yet know what form it will take. Depending on people's interest and needs, it might just be a meetup to pool devices, or it could turn into a hosted library of devices.

To figure out the best strategy, I'm using some web startup methodology. I have a signup page at seattle-odl.org that I'll advertise and point to via twitter, G+, etc. I'll see how many people sign up, and perhaps get some idea of what sparks the most interest. I'll be pointing back to this thread so that Seattle people can discuss here who might be able to contribute, what they would like to use, or possibly even show me where this is already happening that I've missed.

Once I have enough people showing interest and a plan for how to provide access, I'll be registering at lab-up.org. For now, this is just a prospect.

Alan

Alan Stearns

Oct 10, 2013, 8:01:18 PM10/10/13
to devic...@googlegroups.com
An update: I have a nearby co-working space that is interested in hosting the lab, and I've started to receive donations of older devices. The Seattle Open Device Lab should be open by December 2013, and the plan is to provide access to the lab one day a month to start.

Andre Jay Meissner

Oct 11, 2013, 5:51:09 AM10/11/13
to devic...@googlegroups.com
\o/ Very nice, way to go, Alan!

*Jay

P.S.: Not trying to change your mind re the planned opening schedule, but why not provide access on request/individual appointment?

Alan Stearns

Oct 11, 2013, 12:59:08 PM10/11/13
to devic...@googlegroups.com
We might *also* do appointments, but I want at least one open house day per month