Grant: devices for testing accessibility

Marjorie Roswell

Jan 9, 2014, 5:40:08 PM1/9/14
to devic...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I attended the December Seattle Javascript meetup in Seattle, and was present for Alan Stearn's pitch for the Open Device Lab. I thought it was a cool idea, and immediately thought about donating a device (or devices) that could help developers make their sites more accessible to the blind.

Alan, I had a final project presentation the next morning--and a bus to catch--or I'd have spoken to you after the meeting.

I just spoke to my blind friend Michael, who reminded me that I had called him and mentioned this interest, as I waited for the bus.

I don't really know exactly what to donate. But I'll accept small grant requests. More likely to grant a device (or, rather, funding for it) if the request meets the following criteria:

- one or more blind people involved in the request, per device lab
- the device or software is partially funded by the manufacturer (optional, but obviously, I can support more labs, if manufacturers offer some support too)
- there is a sense that the device (or software) will actually be used by developers and designers to test accessibility
- there is a strategy to offer quarterly training to developers on accessibility, and how to use the device or software.

I'll set a deadline of midnight, February 20th 2014 for proposals from folks on this list.

Send  requests to mroswell+ac...@gmail.com with the subject line:
PROPOSAL: ACCESSIBLE DEVICE

I'll announce grant recipients by the first week in March.

Labs do not need to be non-profits to apply.

Sincerely,

Margie

Joschi Kuphal

Jan 10, 2014, 4:11:16 AM1/10/14
to devic...@googlegroups.com
Hi Margie,

that's really a great offer to the device lab community, thanks a lot for it!

As a co-founder of the Open Device Lab Nuremberg I'd love to take part and send you a proposal (which I'd have to work out first, of course). Before I do so, let me ask if there's anything speaking against sending you such a proposal from over here in Germany (respectively from outside the US in general)? If not, I'd also try to carry your offer into the European ODL scene. I can imagine there's quite a lot of interest ...

Very much looking forward to your response!

Cheers,
Joschi

Greg O'Toole

Jan 11, 2014, 1:48:17 PM1/11/14
to devic...@googlegroups.com
This is great news, thank you!
I can tell you there is great interest from Penn State.

Dr. Greg O'Toole
IST

Marjorie Roswell

Jan 15, 2014, 10:25:37 PM1/15/14
to devic...@googlegroups.com
Feel free to send in a proposal from non-US locations.

I'm extending the deadline to Monday, February 24.

(Honestly, I thought I replied before, but i'm not seeing it here, so trying again. The web interface to this Google Group has a green Post button, and a red Post Reply button. It's actually a little confusing.)

Margie

On Thursday, January 9, 2014 5:40:08 PM UTC-5, Marjorie Roswell wrote:
[...]

Send  requests to mroswell+accessibility@gmail.com with the subject line:
PROPOSAL: ACCESSIBLE DEVICE

Joschi Kuphal

Feb 26, 2014, 3:28:37 PM2/26/14
to devic...@googlegroups.com
Hi Margie,

could you please confirm that you received our application (ODL Nuremberg) in time? Just to be sure ...

Thanks, cheers,
Joschi

Am Donnerstag, 16. Januar 2014 04:25:37 UTC+1 schrieb Marjorie Roswell:
[...]

Joschi Kuphal

Apr 10, 2014, 7:25:01 PM4/10/14
to devic...@googlegroups.com
Hello Margie,

I just wanted to ask if there are any news about your offer / our proposal? I didn't hear anything of you so far ... :/