research data spring

Christopher Gutteridge

Dec 15, 2014, 5:36:51 AM12/15/14
to develope...@googlegroups.com
Jisc is trying out a rather novel model for kicking of some new projects around research data.

I think it's a bit tricky as it is asking for ideas upfront and in public, which is not the normal way of bidding. It relies on good will that may not be there.

None the less I've contributed a few ideas I've been mulling.
http://researchatrisk.ideascale.com/a/ideas/hot/campaigns/9264

Ian Stuart

Dec 15, 2014, 5:46:42 AM12/15/14
to develope...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure David Flanders did stuff like this.....

Ian

Ian Stuart

Dec 15, 2014, 5:50:47 AM12/15/14
to develope...@googlegroups.com
Yep.... I have emails dated July 2011 for stuff dff was doing :)

--
Ian

Graham Klyne

Dec 15, 2014, 7:00:16 AM12/15/14
to develope...@googlegroups.com
Interesting...

I'm not offhand sure if it fits in this category of what they're asking for, but
I've been working on a "linked data notebook" for, among other things, allowing
small research groups to create Research Objects without prior development of
either software or schema.

Current status is that it's a work-in-progress public prototype, not yet
functionally complete as "minimal viable product".

Project at: https://github.com/gklyne/annalist

Demo installation: http://annalist.net

#g

Graham Klyne

Dec 15, 2014, 7:11:46 AM12/15/14
to develope...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm... I just looked at the T&Cs of the site they're using:

[[
The materials published on this Site, and any other World Wide Web site owned,
operated, licensed, or controlled by IdeaScale or any of its related, affiliated
or subsidiary companies (collectively the "Materials") may not be copied or
distributed, republished, uploaded, posted or transmitted in any way, except as
otherwise permitted by IdeaScale or any of its relevant related, affiliated or
subsidiary company or companies, as the case may be.
]]
-- http://researchatrisk.ideascale.com/a/panelDetails.do?detailID=255251

I'm rather concerned about posting my ideas there. There's a lot of legalese to
consume to work out if there's any kind of lock-in here.

#g