[Python-Dev] Building python 2.7.3 with Visual Studio 2012 (VS11.0)

Wim Colgate

Jul 24, 2012, 2:02:40 PM7/24/12
to pytho...@python.org
Please forgive me if this is not the prescribed method for asking this
question.

For various reasons, I would like to build python 2.7.3 from source
using the latest VS tools (VS11.0 is in RC -- which is close enough
for my purposes). I have seen the various sub-directories (VC6, VS7.1
and VS8.0) in the sources for specific VS tool chains. I have also
seen the patch for VS 10.0 (http://wiki.python.org/moin/VS2010).

If building with VS11.0, is there more than just applying the
equivalent VS10.0 patch to also include VS11? Are the other VS
sub-directories unneeded?

Regards,

Wim

Brian Curtin

Jul 24, 2012, 3:05:45 PM7/24/12
to Wim Colgate, pytho...@python.org
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Wim Colgate <wimco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please forgive me if this is not the prescribed method for asking this
> question.
>
> For various reasons, I would like to build python 2.7.3 from source
> using the latest VS tools (VS11.0 is in RC -- which is close enough
> for my purposes). I have seen the various sub-directories (VC6, VS7.1
> and VS8.0) in the sources for specific VS tool chains. I have also
> seen the patch for VS 10.0 (http://wiki.python.org/moin/VS2010).
>
> If building with VS11.0, is there more than just applying the
> equivalent VS10.0 patch to also include VS11? Are the other VS
> sub-directories unneeded?

If you can get it working on VS2010 first, VS2012 can read that
project file, but without converting it'll just run the 2010 compiler
and allow you to use the 2012 IDE.

Competing the actual port from 2010 to 2012 did not appear to be very
hard, but I didn't look to far into it.

You don't need the old VS sub-directories unless you are compiling
with those versions.

"Martin v. Löwis"

Jul 24, 2012, 3:20:46 PM7/24/12
to Wim Colgate, pytho...@python.org
> If building with VS11.0, is there more than just applying the
> equivalent VS10.0 patch to also include VS11?

I think nobody *really* knows at this point. Microsoft has a tradition
of breaking Python with every VS release, by making slight incompatible
changes in the C library. With VS 2012, on the one hand, they give
explicit consideration to VS 2010 and continued use of its tools; OTOH,
they also deliberately broke XP support in the CRT.

So you have to try for yourself. If Python passes the test suite (as
good as the official release), then the build was successful.

A different matter is dependent libraries (zlib, openssl, Tcl/Tk, ...).
You also have to build those with VS 2012 (if you want to use them),
each one likely posing its own challenges.

If you manage to succeed, don't forget to post your findings here.
Also if you fail.

Good luck,
Martin