Chowhound alternative- Hungry Onion

Sampson Shen

Nov 11, 2015, 2:55:51 AM11/11/15
to Detroit Chow
Hi Detroit hounds,

You may have noticed that recent traffic on Chowhound has been down significantly.  There was a site redesign in September that caused many long-time active users to  drift away.

Because of that, I started Hungry Onion as a easy-to-use, not-for-profit food forum site and as a viable alternative landing spot to Chowhound.  Many active and long time users joined in the last few weeks.  There is a very vibrant home cooking board.  Regional discussions are getting started.  Please feel free to check the site out.  If you feel that the site has promise, please feel free to encourage others you know to use as well.

www.hungryonion.org

Press coverage of the redesign/ Hungry Onion profile:
East Bay Express
Boston Globe

Cheers,
Sampson.

Erin Walker

Nov 11, 2015, 8:48:00 AM11/11/15
to samps...@gmail.com, detro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sampson. Will you be breaking out the categories further? I think having Chicago, rest of Midwest, AND Toronto in one category does a disservice to these regions. Frankly, that's way too broad for me to spend my time weeding through to find things that are relevant to me in Michigan.

Sampson Shen

Nov 11, 2015, 12:23:10 PM11/11/15
to Detroit Chow, samps...@gmail.com
Hi Erin,

Yes- the goal has always been to carve out any cities and locations that have gotten traction.  Right now I am lumping pretty much everything together to avoid the syndrome of more boards than people since we are only weeks old (though we have 700 users).  For example, the NJ contingent moved over and a board was created to accommodate that traffic.

Please let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks.
Sampson.