SW Detroit "Street" Chicken tasting and comparison - Early September

goatgolfer

Jun 1, 2011, 10:33:32 PM6/1/11
to Detroit Chow
Looking for a Detroit Chow member to take an organizational role in
getting a dinner date (Tiger's or not, perhaps music) event "cage
match" for at least: El Papa, El Reys, and Pollo Chopin ... for a
roundtable and further party. Reviews on CH Great Lakes ( I have
abandoned DTW on principle) and a little on Yelp.

The "Goat" to friends to the JP.. to the Janelle.. to the RainSux. Go
(cribbage talk) to Sir Boagman.

janelle

Jul 10, 2011, 10:46:11 PM7/10/11
to Detroit Chow
I'll set something up here. I know I've been a bit busy/m.i.a. the
last few months, but this is right up my alley, and I think I'll be a
bit freer come fall.

I'm going to presume that a weekend would be best for an event like
this, since the 'crawl' amongst the chicken places will probably take
at least a couple of hours. Between Saturdays and Sundays, I think I
prefer a Sunday, just because college football might pull many people
away on Saturdays. So here are some proposed logistics (I may be
unavailable the first weekend of September, so that's why those dates
are omitted):

DATES
- Saturday Sept 10 (Notre Dame @ Michigan 8 p.m.)
- Sunday Sept 11
- Saturday Sept 17
- Sunday Sept 18
which date(s) do you prefer???

TIME
Meet around 3 or 4 p.m. and make our way from one location to the next

SPOTS TO HIT (sort of east-to-west on Vernor)
- El Papa (and we might as well hit the taco cart next door)
- Pollo Chapin
- El Rey
- Perhaps add El Taquito taco truck if there's interest
- Perhaps finish up with some drinks, at maybe Nacimiento or Nuestra
Familia

Feedback and preferences? Please let me know!!! This should be fun!

VTB

Jul 15, 2011, 9:47:49 PM7/15/11
to Detroit Chow
any of those dates should be do-able for me. (yeah, i have a busy
social calendar...okay, actually i'm never busy when my wife says i'm
not busy...)
> > (cribbage talk) to Sir Boagman.- Hide quoted text -

phc...@aol.com

Aug 6, 2011, 9:39:39 PM8/6/11
to detro...@googlegroups.com
Janelle: Good to meet you. As discussed I think no one date will work so pick one that works for you and go from there. Paul

> wrote:
> Looking for a Detroit Chow member to take an organizational role in
> getting a dinner date (Tiger's or not, perhaps music) event "cage
> match" for at least: El Papa, El Reys, and Pollo Chopin ... for a
> roundtable and further party. Reviews on CH Great Lakes ( I have
> abandoned DTW on principle)  and a little on Yelp.
>
> The "Goat" to friends to the JP.. to the Janelle.. to the RainSux. Go
> (cribbage talk) to Sir Boagman.

janelle

Aug 7, 2011, 5:02:40 AM8/7/11
to Detroit Chow
Alright, we'll go with Saturday, September 10 for this event.

Logistics:

Meet at 3:00 p.m. at El Papa de los Pollitos (4047 W Vernor)

We'll try their chicken first, then perhaps carpool to some of the
other spots. They have a fairly sizeable parking lot, not just street
parking, so a better option than any of the other spots.

On the docket:
1)  El Papa (outdoor chicken grill with really well-seasoned chicken)
... then work our way down Vernor to
2)  Pollo Chapin (fried chicken, Guatemalan tamales and salads)
3)  Taqueria El Rey (outdoor chicken grill, not as much flavor as El
Papa)
4) Los Gallos (outdoor chicken grill, very similar to El Rey)
... then we can end up somewhere for drinks

Let's hope we get a good-sized group together for this!

gsu911

Aug 9, 2011, 9:47:21 PM8/9/11
to Detroit Chow
i'm down....but its kinda up in the air at the same time...

VTB

Aug 9, 2011, 10:56:26 PM8/9/11
to Detroit Chow
Count me in, please. My two wishes are that I can find a babysitter
in advance, and that I won't have two kilos of pollo in my tummy when
tequila time commences.

Christina Nygren Lazic

Aug 10, 2011, 10:22:45 AM8/10/11
to detro...@googlegroups.com
Pollo Crawl 2011. I'm probably in, P's probably not.

Michigan Mishuganer

Aug 11, 2011, 3:04:15 PM8/11/11
to Detroit Chow
I might try to make it depending on schedule constraints.

janelle

Aug 11, 2011, 10:13:37 PM8/11/11
to Detroit Chow
Cool, sounds like there's good interest. If anyone has suggestions on
places to add to the list, definitely post them here. I'll just send
out a final reminder a few days ahead of the event. Otherwise, I'm
really looking forward to this!

gsu911

Aug 21, 2011, 9:14:25 AM8/21/11
to Detroit Chow
I'll be in if i'm in town. will be in the A for sept 17th wknd. if
anyone wants anything brought back, lemme know.

gan

Christina

Sep 9, 2011, 4:24:05 PM9/9/11
to Detroit Chow
I'm guessing this thing has been cancelled?

Erin Walker

Sep 9, 2011, 5:10:07 PM9/9/11
to detro...@googlegroups.com
What? Says who? I've been thinking about tamales nonstop for the past three days after reminding myself what venues we were hitting.

Christina Nygren Lazic

Sep 9, 2011, 8:37:28 PM9/9/11
to detro...@googlegroups.com
I thought we were going to get some sort of confirmation?  I will be there if you will!

janelle

Sep 10, 2011, 12:23:43 AM9/10/11
to Detroit Chow
Sorry, y'all. I should've sent a confirmation earlier this week. But
some things came up with work, I've been really pressed for time, and
I had to skip town on really short notice. So I can't be there
today. But if others want to still do it, please go ahead without me.

If you all want to reschedule, I think I'm good for next Saturday (the
17th).

-j

Erin Walker

Sep 10, 2011, 9:05:08 AM9/10/11
to detro...@googlegroups.com
Saturday should work for me. See you then! Now, what to eat today...

VTB

Sep 10, 2011, 9:13:31 AM9/10/11
to Detroit Chow
I'm game if you guys are game. I'd just as soon wait until next
Saturday, but I don't want to miss out if you're doing it today.
Call or text me at 586-713-6450 if you make last second moves in
either direction. Cheers, Vince

Christina Nygren Lazic

Sep 10, 2011, 11:04:57 AM9/10/11
to detro...@googlegroups.com
Next Saturday works for me, too, and maybe it will have stopped raining by then?

boagman

Sep 11, 2011, 2:52:50 AM9/11/11
to Detroit Chow
Wow...I can't make it next Saturday, as I'm in Atlanta next weekend
for some rather unexpected dental work to be done by my brother. So
disappointed that I'll be missing this. Anybody want to do it the
following weekend after that?

Aron

Christina Nygren Lazic

Sep 19, 2011, 3:00:37 PM9/19/11