Interfacing battery/solar panel with raspberry pi (also reminder for Al to bring in cycle tools if possible!)

Stuart Weaver

Jun 16, 2015, 3:57:06 PM6/16/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I need to research into powering a raspberry pi from a battery/solar panel and hence thought I'd ask here first!

1. I know there's the power pins on the GPIO but does anyone have a good example for me to follow for interfacing to a battery/solar panel?
2. What would be the best way for joining the battery/solar panel together (i.e. charging circuit)?
3. Could anyone recommend any parts for the battery/solar panel? (should be relatively low power but would occasionally look at accessing the camera interface).

Regards,
Stu

p.s. Al are we still on for having a look at the bicycle? doesn't matter if not, just need to know whether to bring it down or not :)

Gregory Parker

Jun 17, 2015, 7:28:49 AM6/17/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
For solar powering the Pi, you have a few options:
  • PiSupply released this nifty looking board called "PiJuice," which is essentially a shield with power management circuitry and a Lithium Ion battery. For £65.00, they do a solar option.
  • Otherwise, there's some stuff on Instructables.