BonUS Opportunity

gryf...@hotmail.com

Oct 11, 2016, 11:11:51 AM10/11/16
to Derby Makers

Hi everyone,

I know we sent an ‘Opportunities’ email out last week but here’s a brilliant ‘BonUS Opportunity’ (actually three!) we thought you’d love to hear about.  Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

THINKING PUBLIC SPACE –  a Walk n Talk series of events led by artists in collaboration with you!

We would like to invite you to participate in a series of three artistic events that draw attention to the public spaces in and around the Silk Mill. Led by different artists with diverse interests, each event will offer you an exciting opportunity to meet and work with other people outside of your usual role in a fun and creative way that will inform the future of the Silk Mill Museum of Making, its environment, programming and activities.

These Walk n Talk events are part of the programme for the Reimagine phase of the Museum of Making with artists researching and ‘testing’ ideas with Silk Mill stakeholders, volunteers, makers, staff, trustees, partners and collaborators.

6.30pm – 8.30pmThursday 20 October

Reet Maff’l – working up a new Silk Mill concept album

Join in the special performance by the band Reet Maff'l who will be demo-ing new material from their work-in-progress Silk Mill concept album.  The performance will combine the digital and physical as an augmented reality live performance in and around the building, and be the world's first site-specific album. There will also be a chance for the audience to contribute ideas for the as-yet-unwritten second half of the album on the future of the Museum of Making.

Led by artists/musicians Andy Abbott and Luke Drozd

Please bring smartphones or tablets with earphones to access the full experience of the performance.

Please book via Eventbrite: http://bit.ly/2d5DPpX

6.30pm – 8.30pm, Thursday 27 October

Time and Motion – a Study of the Museum of Making and the People who Inhabit it

How does the act of making shape our social relationships and the physical environments of work, home and recreation? Building on data gathered from Silk Mill ‘research volunteers’ through smart phone logs, The Decorators will create informal sculptural spaces in response to the un-observed performance of making in the Mill and its environs.

Want to be a ‘research volunteer’ to support this project? We are requesting people to keep a log of their activities 4 times per day for two days.

Please book via Eventbrite: http://bit.ly/2dNckyR

1pm – 3pm, Saturday 5 November

Performing Prototypes; an assault course in problem solving

Celebrating the creativity involved in problem solving as the seedbed of innovation, this fast paced game devised by sci/art activist Lawrence Malloy with teams drawn from users, stakeholders and the public seizes the opportunity for hands-on making and complex problem solving. Fun and serious at the same time, challenges arise from Derby’s industrial heritage or fantastical futures to be prototyped here in the city.

We are inviting you to participate in one of the problem solving teams on the day. This will be exciting, inventive and fun.

Please book via Eventbrite: http://bit.ly/2dOldxk

With thanks and warmest regards,

Gemma