Off topic - Email Hosting

Steve Martin

Jan 22, 2017, 5:48:03 AM1/22/17
to Derby Makers
Hi,

Sorry, I know this is off topic on a group about making but I'm a bit short on time to change my email hosting before getting charged again for a more expensive host.

I know a few people I've talked to in the group work in IT or just know a lot about computers so I wondered if you might have an idea.  I'll keep it short.

I'm currently hosting my emails with https://www.dreamhost.com/ on a shared hosting plan.  I never did get to updating my website again so I want to switch to email hosting only before I get charged again.  I can host a basic blog site using https://github.com/.  I had used https://www.xilo.net/ in the past but your email only hosting uses a separate domain (https://aero.hostedmailserver.net:2083/) and the login page has a warning about using sha-1 for the hash algorithm.

Do any of you host emails on your own domain instead of using gmail or outlook.com?

I currently run a couple of main email addresses then I use aliases/forwarding address for various services.  I'm almost tempted to switch to just using gmail then maybe setup an extra account for unimportant sites, something I don't mind closing and creating a new email if it gets spammed heavily.  That would save some effort and money.

Thanks,

Steve