Mendal 3D Printer Fix & Upgrade

Morgan Barke

Apr 22, 2016, 5:37:43 AM4/22/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

I have been liaising with Silk Mill to get the Mendal 3D printer working again, originally built by Derby Makers. The Silk Mill have funded the components required to get it working again, plus some upgrades (desired functionality listed below). If you are interested in exploring 3D printing this would be a great opportunity to grow your knowledge and would be really appreciated, plus your time would count towards our volunteering contributions!

Phase 1 - Maintenance
Printing of any printable replacement parts that would benefit from being renewed. Including the latest version of the extruder cooler. Replacing the extruder fan and any cables/ribbons.
Ensuring the firmware is up to date.
Configure dedicated PC with Linux & Cura installed to generate the gcodes for both the Mendal & Ulitmaker.

Phase 2 - Remote monitoring and auto timelaspe video of print.
Configuring of RaspberryPi and camera to run Octoprint.

Phase 3 -

Morgan Barke

Apr 22, 2016, 5:50:09 AM4/22/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry. I hit Ctrl + Enter by mistake.

Phase 3 - 3D Printing Workstation & Display Cabinet
Create or modify a cabinet that would house both 3D printers, house materials and spares, and display interesting 3D printed projects.

If there is continued interest in 3D printing, then Derby Makers could potentially purchase our own 3D printer that could lent to members, enabling 3+ hour printing (required for medium & large scale projects).

If you are interested in helping me progress this project, then either reply here, or speak to me in person.

Cheers, Morgan

Paul Stevens

Apr 23, 2016, 2:30:57 AM4/23/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Morgan,
yes happy to help.  I can get down most wednesdays and have other time available as well.
Cheers
Paul

neil...@googlemail.com

Apr 23, 2016, 5:12:02 AM4/23/16
to Derby Makers
I'd be up for this as well. Will be along for this Weds and possibly Thurs.

Morgan Barke

Apr 23, 2016, 11:37:58 AM4/23/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Paul & Neill. That's great!

I have a meeting with the Silk Mill on Wednesday evening, so I won't be about much then. Meanwhile I will put together an initial, more detailed plan of action for your consideration.

Cheers, Morgan