Laser Cutter in Ilkeston

grant gibson

Jun 23, 2017, 3:51:22 PM6/23/17
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Guys,

Just come across this laser cutter that is in Ilkeston, I know it is quite large but should we consider getting it given it is just down the road ?

Regards

Grant

Paul Stevens

Jun 23, 2017, 6:09:58 PM6/23/17
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I think it would be useful to have one given the amount of use the one at the SM got.  Whether this one is right or not I would have to leave to "those that know”.
I would assume the Comms Museum would be happy to install it there but we would need to think about insurance, risk to the Museum and an alternative location if we need to move it at any time.
I could see a use for the Museum in making perspex stands for exhibits.  In that case there might be a synergy (if thats the right word)
Paul

Rob

Jun 24, 2017, 2:39:42 PM6/24/17
to Derby Makers
It has a height and a 'just able bed', wouldn't it be better to get one that is 'comfortably able'? ;)

What power was the Silk Mill laser for comparison?

Cheers

grant gibson

Jun 24, 2017, 2:40:53 PM6/24/17
to Derby Makers

80w I think?

Morgan Barke

Jun 24, 2017, 4:35:22 PM6/24/17
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I believe the Silk Mills Laser was a 120w Reci CO2 tube.

Mine is 90w and is fine. It will pretty much everything we need, just slower.

I think this a good bed size. We would need to establish how much space we can allocate for the laser cutter. We have started planning the workshop I think this is worth further discussion. And potentially work out a sensible offer, if appropriate.

On 24 Jun 2017 19:40, "'grant gibson' via Derby Makers" <derby-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

80w I think?

On Sat, 24 Jun 2017, 19:39 Rob, <therob...@gmail.com> wrote:
It has a height and a 'just able bed', wouldn't it be better to get one that is 'comfortably able'? ;)

What power was the Silk Mill laser for comparison?

Cheers

Graeme Smith

Jun 24, 2017, 5:14:32 PM6/24/17
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Yes the Silk Mill is 120W but like Morgan's mine is more like 80W and absolutely fine for 99% of general Maker needs. You just just need to slow it down a little on thicker material.

Graeme
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to derby-makers...@googlegroups.com.