Dxf to svg

grant gibson

Jul 18, 2015, 9:53:21 AM7/18/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

All,

Whether this is of use to anyone I don't know but I have certainly found it handy. For anyone wanting to convert a dxf to svg I have found that corel cad is excellent. If anybody wants any more info then let me know.

Hopefully someone might find it helpful to know

Regards

Grant

Martin Raynsford

Jul 18, 2015, 6:41:06 PM7/18/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Inkscape 0.91 got a massive update to many features including it's dxf importing. I've certainly not had any issues with customers dxf files recently and svg is Inkscapes native format so it's easy to save out again

grant gibson

Jul 19, 2015, 12:10:09 AM7/19/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

I have just had issues in the past when for example I have exported a face from a 3d cad package then tried to import it to inkscape. It's quite a specific example but I wanted 3 circles positioned at 120 degrees inside a larger circle and unfortunately inkscape just doesn't cope with doing a pattern like that well. I spent ages trying to draw it in inkscape to no avail. When I had exported it and then attempted to read it it just would not import. I even posted on the inkscape forum and the guys had said there are issues with some geometries with some dxf files.  So it probably doesn't affect many people but I think it's a better option than my current work around which was using  dassault systems dxf viewer then copying out from there.

Regards
Grant

Martin Raynsford

Jul 19, 2015, 6:37:59 PM7/19/15
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I know, the previous version of inkscape (0.49?) wasn't even able to read in it's own dxf files. If it wasn't such a leap forward in the newer version then I wouldn't have mentioned it.
pdf is the truly universal vector format, everything can read that. :)