Play and Recycling Centre Membership

Amanda McLaren

Feb 27, 2014, 10:41:38 AM2/27/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Just to let everyone know we are now paid up members of PARC - Play and Recycling Centre on the corner of Werburgh Street and Woods Lane in Derby.
They are open: Tuesdays 10am - 3pm, Wednesdays 10am - 3pm and Thursdays 10am - 5pm. We have a membership card for Derby Makers and they have offered to do us an evening induction as I mentioned that a lot of people are at work during their opening hours.
They have suggested 7pm on Thursday 3rd April. This will be being cleared at the their board meeting next Thursday, so I will confirm after then - please do pencil it in your diaries. Mark also thought people might like to go to the pub afterwards?? The Spa Inn on Abbey Street is just around the corner if people are interested?

The actual address is 6-10 Werburgh Street Derby DE22 3QG.

MARK HANCOX

Mar 2, 2014, 2:37:02 AM3/2/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great; unfortunately I have a parent's evening that night so I won't be available, but hope it goes well.

Cheers
Mark

Andrea Mercer

Mar 3, 2014, 5:26:38 AM3/3/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amanda

As this is a Re:Make night we won't be able to make it but let us know what there is?

Thanks

Andrea

Graeme Smith

Mar 3, 2014, 6:26:57 AM3/3/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Back (but certainly not recovered!) from an amazing weekend building thunderbirds Tracy Island out of junk at the BritSciFi weekend at the National Space Centre in Leicester. Joel and I joined forces with Gareth, Rob and Leigh from Nottinghack and approximately 6 million children.( estimated)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Britta Jarvis

Mar 3, 2014, 12:33:38 PM3/3/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amanda

Thanks for getting us membership :D I'm really looking forward to having a look around! I will make it along for 45 mins or so as I have to get back for work that night.

See you then!

- Britta

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 02:26:38 -0800
From: and...@derbymuseums.org
To: derby-...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [derby-makers] Re: Play and Recycling Centre Membership

Britta Jarvis

Mar 3, 2014, 12:37:58 PM3/3/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Graeme,

That is AWESOME! What a brilliant weekend! :D

I'm so jealous of you getting to meet Kryton and Rimmer! Your Tracey island looks fantastic too. Love the drybrushing!

I'd definately be interested in a workshop on paper patterns. Please!

- Britta

Subject: [derby-makers] Space Centre Weekend
From: b.mcc...@hotmail.co.uk
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 11:26:57 +0000
To: derby-...@googlegroups.com

Back (but certainly not recovered!) from an amazing weekend building thunderbirds Tracy Island out of junk at the BritSciFi weekend at the National Space Centre in Leicester. Joel and I joined forces with Gareth, Rob and Leigh from Nottinghack and approximately 6 million children.( estimated)

I designed some papercraft ships for the visitors to build and Gareth designed the Tracy Brother as 'cubies'. (Yes I also had to look it up but imagine the terribly mutated offspring of Minecraft and Bobblehead) Most of the sheets had gone by the end but I was slightly disappointed that only three people asked me to sign them......and I use the word 'ASKED' with its loosest possible definition...... as if to suggest them having any choice. Joel kept us all in check by supervising the volcano build and telling off his dad when he stupidly placed a cereal box 6mm too far to the left. We were all rather starstruck when Jamie Anderson (Gerry's son) and the original Thunderbirds voice actors agreed to come along and have a photo with it and some of the children who built it. They were gracious, funny, and real gentlemen. I couldn't thank them enough. Hopefully Rob has some pictures later in the week. Nottinghack and DerbyMakers were given lots of mentions and we hope to get everyone together later in the year for a couple of 'how to make papercraft patterns' workshops if there is an interest for it? Rob....stop reading at this point....there is nothing to see beyond here....I'm just going to mention the weather and politics.. Has he gone? The weekend was topped off....... for those of us not in the toilet at the time......by a last minute visit from Rimmer (Chris Barrie) and Kryten (Robert Llewellyn) from Red Dwarf. Geeks and proud, Graeme and Joel.

Graeme Smith

Mar 3, 2014, 3:34:32 PM3/3/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Met the Cat as well :-)

Graeme

Amanda McLaren

Mar 31, 2014, 8:52:03 AM3/31/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Just a reminder that PARC - the play and recycling centre have kindly agreed to show us around their facilities this Thursday (3rd) April at 7pm. We are now members and this is part of our induction to the facility - http://www.derbyplayandrecyclingcentre.org/pages/ for more info or if you can't make it on Thursday. They will have the shop open so bring some money in case you see something you want. It would be good to know who to expect so if you can make it and not let me know yet please email me...although you are still welcome just to turn up at 7pm on Thursday.
Thanks
Amanda

Graeme Smith

Apr 1, 2014, 6:54:42 AM4/1/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I'd definitely like to come along....and with my famous ability to get lost on the streets of derby I'd definitely like to cadge a lift from someone?

Graeme

MARK HANCOX

Apr 1, 2014, 7:42:50 AM4/1/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

I'll have to decline due to a family commitment,  but interested to hear how it goes

Britta Jarvis

Apr 1, 2014, 9:46:42 AM4/1/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Jim and I will be along :) Does anyone know if there are any good railings to lock our bikes up to? Or if they would let us wheel them into the enterance?

- Britta

Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 12:42:50 +0100
From: mhan...@gmail.com
To: derby-...@googlegroups.com

Amanda McLaren

Apr 1, 2014, 9:51:53 AM4/1/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I would have thought you can bring your bikes in no probs.

Amanda McLaren

T: 0777 28 48 892

Britta Jarvis

Apr 1, 2014, 10:50:17 AM4/1/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Amanda, let's hope they think like you :)

- Britta

Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 14:51:53 +0100

Jonathan

Apr 1, 2014, 3:14:13 PM4/1/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amanda.

Sorry to say I wont be able to come along -I'd really like to hear what it is like though. Any chance you could take some pictures?

Jonathan

Amanda McLaren

Apr 3, 2014, 4:21:12 AM4/3/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Graeme

Have you got a lift? I can pick you up from the silk mill at about 6.45 on my way there from Nottingham, is this any good for you? This applies to anyone else who wants a lift over from silk mill? Pls email if you can before 4pm or text me on my phone after 4pm to let me know.

Thanks
Amanda

Amanda McLaren

T: 0777 28 48 892

Britta Jarvis

Apr 3, 2014, 5:27:35 AM4/3/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amanda

Sad news here I'm afraid, I've come down with tonsilitus and Jim has a meeting in nottingham I didn't remember. Sorry we won't be coming tonight :(

- Britta

Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 09:21:12 +0100

From: part...@gmail.com
To: derby-...@googlegroups.com

Graeme Smith

Apr 3, 2014, 5:43:48 AM4/3/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
That would be lovely thanks. Your wood is at the Mill so remind me to get it for you.

Graeme

Morgan Barke

Apr 3, 2014, 6:46:06 AM4/3/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I'll be at the Mill and will grab a lift if there is one going...

Amanda McLaren

Apr 3, 2014, 7:25:55 AM4/3/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Brill thanks, see you later.

Amanda McLaren

T: 0777 28 48 892

Amanda McLaren

Apr 3, 2014, 7:26:15 AM4/3/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
no probs

Amanda McLaren

T: 0777 28 48 892

James Moore

Apr 3, 2014, 12:42:58 PM4/3/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Hi my dears,
I'm very sorry to have to give both mine and Britta's apologies- we won't be able to come along tonight.
I have a meeting in Nottingham and poor Britta is down with tonsillitis..still hope it all goes well and will look forward to your feedback!

Jim

Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 12:26:15 +0100

From: part...@gmail.com
To: derby-...@googlegroups.com

Pam Hallam

Apr 4, 2014, 5:30:05 AM4/4/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com, jbm...@live.co.uk
Amanda
Many thanks for organising the look around PARC......... what an Aladdin's cave!  For those that weren't able to attend you must make the time to look around.  Amanda took lots of photos and I have some information and the opening times can be found on their website   http://www.derbyplayandrecyclingcentre.org
so what are you waiting for get yourself down there.

Pam

Morgan Barke

Apr 4, 2014, 5:52:55 AM4/4/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I second that, Pam. What a resource!

Thanks Amanda for arranging it.

Graeme Smith

Apr 4, 2014, 2:17:03 PM4/4/14
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Who's Pam?
It just thought that it was a little unfair that there seems to be lots of rules that are not clear in the documentation.
It isn't the 'grab what you want' situation that they imply.
Just to prevent anyone else suffering the acute embarrassment that I endured please be aware that the cash register, computer from the office and charity collection boxes are NOT included!

Graeme