Barclays Eagle Space Update

grant gibson

Mar 12, 2016, 6:29:00 AM3/12/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Morning all,

I have some very interesting news. I sent an email yesterday evening to the ceo of Barclays regarding the possibility of a potential tie up with Derby Makers for their Eagle Space project. Within 1 hour I had a response which was extremely positive and this morning I have had an email from the guy in charge of the Eagle Space project saying he wants to call me Monday to discuss a potential collaboration.

This is clearly early days but it seems like Barclays are keen to do something. I am also aware that there are going to be many interests in this discussions from both sides.

On Monday I'm obviously not going to commit anything or promise things but equally I'm a bit unsure of what people want me to say. The other challenging aspect to this is the Silk Mill in terms of whether the best thing to do is introduce Barclays to the Silk Mill and let them continue the discussions.

How do people want to go about this one? I'm presuming we need a meeting now to discuss?

Regards

Grant

Tony Brookes

Mar 12, 2016, 6:56:38 AM3/12/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Well done Grant
Tony
(thoughts later today)

Morgan Barke

Mar 12, 2016, 2:11:49 PM3/12/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Grant.
Will look into ready for discussion on Wednesday, if you are about.

grant gibson

Mar 12, 2016, 2:45:31 PM3/12/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
I'm afraid I'm in Birmingham from Wednesday until Saturday inclusive I'm at the Big Bang fair with work so will have to be the week after.

Regards

Grant

Tony Brookes

Mar 12, 2016, 5:36:13 PM3/12/16
to Derby Makers
Hi Grant
You obviously can't commit the Silk Mill, but a general conversation around who we are & what we do, introduction to the Silk Mill, and what their possible interest is and plans, what they do and offer will go a long way to kick starting anything off. I'd try and keep our involvement going, after all we are a separate group and haven't yet been assimilated...And you did the initial e-mail.

I'm at the NEC on Friday, but apart from being a general volunteer I've forgotten what specifically I've let myself in for apart from something careers related. I must remember to log onto their website and check soon.

We might see each other but I suspect that'd be happenstance.

Tony

Morgan Barke

Mar 13, 2016, 12:33:38 PM3/13/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again Grant for pursuing potential opportunities for the space.

I have now had chance to think about and look into Barclays Eagle labs. Barclays are one of, if not the, worst bank in the UK, in an already very questionable sector.
Ref: http://moveyourmoney.org.uk/scorecard-explained/ (see table at bottom of the page)

On these grounds, I wouldn't support any association with Barclays.

Cheers, Morgan

Rob

Mar 16, 2016, 1:17:22 PM3/16/16
to Derby Makers
That data is from September 2013. First Direct, widely believed to be the best, scored 7th from bottom. Refusing to be associated with such a big brand, on an opportunity with such potential, on the basis of this seems nuts to me.

grant gibson

Mar 16, 2016, 1:25:34 PM3/16/16
to Derby Makers

I didn't want to be the first person to say anything but I sort of think it's at least worth exploring and that all banks are bad and you aren't going to close them down. In some respects at least Barclays are trying is my thought. they don't have to an Eagle Space and equally I don't there is anything to loose by at least entertaining the idea and having some discussion around it.

Don't get me wrong I don't love Barclays or any other bank but I would also like to say this. Barclays are going to do the Eagle labs whether we get involved or not. In the interests of moral steering and the saying about glass greenhouses it's better to be on the inside helping steer something than on the outside otherwise nothing changes.

Regards

Grant

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 17:17 Rob, <therob...@gmail.com> wrote:
That data is from September 2013. First Direct, widely believed to be the best, scored 7th from bottom. Refusing to be associated with such a big brand, on an opportunity with such potential, on the basis of this seems nuts to me.

Paul Stevens

Mar 16, 2016, 2:24:41 PM3/16/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com

I think it is well worth investigating but not necessarily committing to anything at this stage. Such a link is surely for a committee decision anyway as it could be quite significant to both DM and our relationship with the SM.  Further exploration is must be worthwhile.

All the best
Paul

Morgan Barke

Mar 16, 2016, 7:28:17 PM3/16/16
to derby-...@googlegroups.com
The Eagle Space may be a great opportunity for Derby Makers and its steering committee can only decide that (as Paul suggested).  I am just stating my opinion in an effort to be up front.

Derby Makers is a "do-ocracy" and just because I don't support something, doesn't mean I am going to create resistance against it. It simple means I won't focus my time and energy on it.

We have a scheduled board meeting with the Silk Mill on the 13th April, that may be a suitable opportunity to present any findings and test the ground with the Silk Mill.

Cheers, Morgan.

Rob

Mar 17, 2016, 1:48:40 PM3/17/16
to Derby Makers
I'm liking the do-ocracy! Kind of similar to the Pragmatatorship I usually run.